19.5 C
Saturday, May 25, 2024

A 15-year-old British man was sentenced for fatally stabbing a Polish teenager

Must read

- Advertisement -

A 15-year-old Briton who fatally stabbed 14-year-old Polish Tomasz in the Whitehill Park suburb of Gateshead in north-east England last October was sentenced by a Newcastle court on Thursday. The teenager will spend a minimum of 12 years in prison for his actions.

The penalty means that at the earliest after that time, Leighton Amies can apply for parole – although it is not clear that he will receive it – on which he will remain for the rest of his life, and if he ever breaks his terms, he will be sent back to prison.

In addition, he was sentenced to 13 months for attempting to cause grievous bodily harm, which he will serve concurrently with the main sentence.

Assault in the park

- Advertisement -

The tragedy happened on October 3 last year in a park on the outskirts of Gateshead. A teenager from Poland was stabbed by 14-year-old Amies. The eight-centimeter-deep wound turned out to be very serious for the young Pole, and the boy died in hospital the same night.

The perpetrator claimed during the trial that he stabbed the victim by accident, defending himself from an attack by a group that also included a boy from Poland. That evening, a young British man was walking his girlfriend through the park when she told him about a group of teenagers following them.

READ MORE: The 24-year-old tried to fend off a knife attack. The media dubbed him a “hero with a backpack”

Amies, who admitted to taking a steak knife with him “for safety’s sake, said he only pulled it out after he was punched, kicked and pinned to the ground, but that was a lie, the prosecution has shown. The prosecutor admitted that the group that the Pole was in was not blameless because they discussed the beating of Amies, but he only suffered a minor injury to his thumb and he was the aggressor. After delivering the killing blow, he would brag about his act.

The judge, reading the justification for the sentence, agreed that it was not Amies who provoked the event, but Oleszak was blameless, and the group in which the Polish boy was must live with the knowledge that it was their “stupidity” that led to his death.

The perpetrator and the victim did not know each other before and lived in different neighborhoods. The family of the deceased moved to the UK in 2012.

Main photo source: Reuters Archive

Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article