After the government asked President Andrzej Duda to introduce a state of emergency in part of the Podlaskie and Lubelskie provinces, politicians comment on the decision. Senator Jan Maria Jackowski from the PiS club said that such a solution would make it easier for the government to “manage the administration and services responsible for state security”. The Left Club calls for an extraordinary session of the Sejm. Szymon Hołownia, the leader of Poland in 2050, wrote that “the PiS state decided today to take away the rights of the inhabitants of two provinces without exhausting the usual resources”.
The Council of Ministers addressed President Andrzej Duda, Fr. the introduction of a state of emergency in part of the Podlaskie and Lubelskie voivodeships – Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki informed on Tuesday. It is related to the situation on the border with Belarus. The draft resolution of the Council of Ministers on this matter was published on government websites. The state of emergency is to apply for 30 days in 183 localities: 115 in Podlasie and 68 in the Lublin region.
Also read: What does a state of emergency mean?
Jackowski: this will make it easier for the government to manage the administration and services
The case was commented on by PiS senator Jan Maria Jackowski.
– The government administration has much greater access to confidential and secret information to which I do not have (access – ed.), So I understand that it was all analyzed – he said.
– The argument is that we are dealing with a diametrically growing migration pressure, the number of illegal attempts to cross the border has actually statistically increased in recent weeks and undoubtedly the government administration introducing this legal formula in these areas will facilitate control over the flow of information and the administration and services responsible for security countries – he added.
Kidawa-Błońska: the pandemic was not a crisis for them
The government’s actions were also commented on by the Deputy Speaker of the Sejm Małgorzata Kidawa-Błońska from the Civic Platform in social media.
“The government wants to introduce a state of emergency in connection with the crisis situation on the border. The pandemic was not a crisis for them. The state of emergency was not needed,” wrote the Deputy Speaker of the Sejm Małgorzata Kidawa-Błońska on Twitter.
The Left wants to convene an extraordinary session of the Sejm
The parliamentary club of the Left also reacted to the government’s actions. Its representatives demand that an urgent extraordinary session of the Sejm be convened in order to reverse the president’s possible decision to introduce a state of emergency. In the opinion of the club leader Krzysztof Gawkowski, the PiS government called on the president to “a shameful decision”.
According to the Left, the conclusion of the Council of Ministers means that the government is not coping with the situation on the border and there is no systemic or strategic solution to the refugee situation.
– There is no willingness to help people camped on the border, and above all there is a desire to escalate that people who do not have any support would still be treated in an inhumane manner – assessed Gawkowski at a press conference in the Sejm.
– The government wants to introduce a state of emergency in several provinces, because it cannot cope with the refugee crisis, and above all, it wants to hide the truth at the border – he added.
He stated that the state of emergency is the suspension of civil rights and the inability to know the truth about what is happening at the border. – We will not be able to find out about the inhumane treatment of 30 people today, maybe several hundred people in the future – assessed the head of the Left club.
– For the last year and a half during the pandemic, there was no courage to talk about a state of natural disaster or a state of emergency, today, due to 30 people on the border, the government wants to limit basic rights and freedoms. The Left does not agree to this, he stressed.
– We want the Sejm to quickly consider the motion to repeal this regulation and that the state of emergency in Poland should be introduced only in exceptional cases, and not cynically used by the government to hide its ineptitude – he said.
The head of the Sejm committee announces that its meeting will be convened as a matter of urgency
The Left’s deputies recalled that the introduction of the state of emergency means, inter alia, that compact units will be able to remove from that area volunteers or residents who help foreigners, or journalists reporting on the situation at the border.
The chairman of the parliamentary administration and internal affairs committee, Wiesław Szczepański (also the Lewica club), said that a week ago the presidium of the committee got acquainted with the situation on the border and was informed that the Polish state is strong and guards Polish borders. – What happened this week that today the government wants to introduce a state of emergency on the section of the Polish-Belarusian border in the Podlaskie and Lubelskie voivodeships? – He was asking.
He announced that an urgent committee would be convened to hear information about the reasons for such a request for a state of emergency.
Hołownia: The PiS state decided to take away the rights of residents of two provinces
The leader of Poland 2050, Szymon Hołownia, also referred to the government’s activities.
“The PiS state decided today to take away the rights of the inhabitants of two provinces without exhausting the usual means, without explaining to people what it actually means for them” – assessed the politician.
Sawicki on a state of emergency: the next stage of political theater
Marek Sawicki assessed that the government’s actions “constitute the next stage of political theater”. – Because the theater is the lack of reaction to the presence of these 32 people at the border, and at the same time 930 people illegally crossed the border in August, were placed in refugee centers and an asylum procedure was initiated against them – said Sawicki.
– I live 60 kilometers from the border and I have not seen any threat. However, it is in the PiS strategy and mentality to convey this message: we have a great war, a great threat, only we will protect you from the attack of the terrible Lukashenka and his hybrid war. This is to focus Poles on one issue and distract from serious problems of the government – added the politician.
He pointed out that the Zapad exercises, about which the Prime Minister spoke when explaining the request for a state of emergency, have been held cyclically for 20 years.
– If in the years 2016-2019 more than 25,000 people illegally crossed the borders, I do not see a great threat here. But the government is here to make decisions, they want to build fences and introduce a state of emergency on the border – they will. In my opinion, this is nothing more than theater and an attempt to stop the media from reporting the matter further – he said.
He said that in his opinion “this event should not be – not in rational terms”. – It cannot be understood in humanitarian or moral terms, but in political terms the government stated that the cost of suffering 32 people is irrelevant to the political goal it intends to achieve – he said. – I will not disturb the government, but let it stop embarrassing us with this whole situation – added Sawicki.
Main photo source: Artur Reszko / PAP