Health Minister Adam Niedzielski informed that on Wednesday morning one of the Afghan boys who got mushroom poisoning had a liver transplant. The minister stated that the condition of the brothers was very difficult.
Afghans who, after evacuating from Kabul, were sent to the center for foreigners in Podkowa Leśna-Dębak, poisoned themselves with mushrooms that they were supposed to collect on the premises of the center. As a result of poisoning in a critical condition, there are two Afghan boys at the Children’s Memorial Health Institute in Warsaw. The younger of them, a five-year-old boy, cannot undergo a liver transplant due to brain damage. A six-year-old could have undergone such an operation. There is also a 17-year-old Afghan woman whose condition is stable at the same hospital.
Niedzielski informed RMF FM that the boys’ condition is very difficult. “One of those kids already had a liver transplant this morning, but it’s a really very complicated medical situation. Let’s keep our fingers crossed and wait for what will happen – said the head of the Ministry of Health.
Evacuation from Afghanistan to Poland
After the evacuation of Afghan collaborators of the Polish military contingent and Polish diplomacy, 1,021 Afghan citizens were taken care of by the Office for Foreigners. They stay in centers for foreigners and in units of voivodes designated for quarantine after entering Poland.
The spokesman of the Office for Foreigners, Jakub Dudziak, assures that refugees are provided with three full meals a day in the centers, including a two-course lunch, as well as access to hot drinks around the clock. Due to the poisoning, employees of all centers for foreigners will sensitize Afghans not to eat products of unknown origin, and the families of those who have been poisoned and are in hospital will be able to benefit from psychological care.
Main photo source: TVN24