Polish military planes flew to Kabul, helping to evacuate from Afghanistan taken over by the Taliban. The deputy head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Marcin Przydacz, said that the first machine took nearly 50 people to Uzbekistan. They are currently under the care of the consul. Now a civil plane is waiting for them to transport them to Poland. Among the evacuees is a Polish citizen.
Poland sent three military planes to Afghanistan to evacuate from Kabul. The first of them – according to PAP information – landed in the capital taken over by the Taliban on Wednesday morning. According to the head of the prime minister’s office, Michał Dworczyk, 250-260 people volunteered for evacuation. They are mainly collaborators of the Polish mission in Afghanistan, but also several Polish citizens.
Deputy head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: nearly 50 people evacuated to Uzbekistan are now safe
The latest information on this matter was presented by the deputy head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Marcin Przydacz, just after 1 p.m. on Wednesday. He reported that a Polish plane sent by the Polish Armed Forces by the decision of Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki landed in Uzbekistan.
– There were nearly 50 people on board, who are already completely safe, who are already under the care of the Polish consul in Uzbekistan. There is already a civil plane waiting for these people, which will transport them safely to Poland in the near future – he handed over.
He informed that among them there was one Polish citizen, and the other people were involved in political activities, also in cooperation with Polish state institutions in Afghanistan during the military and diplomatic mission.
– This is not the end of this mission, more planes have been sent. At the moment, there is a second plane on the territory of Afghanistan, which we also intend to fill with people in need, ‘he said.
– As promised by the prime minister, we are not leaving our allies. All those who came, who managed to get to the airport and who made contact with the Polish consular services present there, were given help – Przydacz added.
Morawiecki: We did what had to be done
Earlier, Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki spoke about the evacuation from Afghanistan.
– We evacuated Poles, people cooperating with us, from Kabul and Afghanistan to Uzbekistan. Another plane is flying to Afghanistan. The next ones also go in that direction, but they must have permission to land – said Morawiecki.
As he emphasized, Poland helps to take not only Polish citizens, but also “will contribute to ensuring the security of Afghan citizens and other countries that cooperate with NATO”.
– We did what had to be done to protect Polish citizens, but also the citizens of Afghanistan who worked with us, and also citizens of other countries. And this help is provided – emphasized Morawiecki.
Two Polish women evacuated by the Czechs
On Tuesday evening, a Czech military plane, carrying 87 people from Kabul, landed at the military airport near Prague. Two Polish women were among the evacuees, the Czech ambassador to Kabul, Czech diplomats and Afghan collaborators.
Main photo source: TVN24