A cellphone caught fireplace within the cabin of an Alaska Airways flight that had landed in Seattle from New Orleans on Monday night. The telephone was a Samsung Galaxy A21, Perry Cooper, a spokesperson for the Port of Seattle, told The Seattle Times.
“After a lot digging, I can inform you that the telephone was burned past recognition,” Cooper mentioned in an e-mail to The Seattle Occasions. “Nevertheless, throughout an interview with certainly one of our Port of Seattle Cops, the passenger volunteered the telephone was a Samsung Galaxy A21. Once more, we couldn’t verify it by wanting on the stays of the system.”
Samsung didn’t instantly reply to a request for remark from The Verge.
An Alaska Airways spokesperson tells The Verge that the airplane’s crew used fireplace extinguishers and a battery containment bag to “cease the telephone from smoking.” Passengers have been evacuated from the airplane by way of the evacuation slides “attributable to hazy situations contained in the cabin,” and two of have been handled at an area hospital, the spokesperson mentioned. A Twitter person who mentioned they have been on the flight described the cabin as “like a smoke machine.”
That’s me on my telephone on the correct. The passenger was 2-3 rows behind me on the alternative aspect. It was like a smoke machine. Flight attendants did a wonderful job and all passengers have been very calm. I imagine one individual sitting beside them may need minor accidents.
— Maddy Harrison (@Madddzh) August 24, 2021
Passengers have been taken by bus to the terminal, according to a tweet by Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, and two passengers have been handled at an area hospital, the Alaska Airways spokesperson mentioned.
Whereas the scenario could call to mind Samsung’s recall of the Galaxy Note 7 over fears of exploding batteries, it’s unclear if there’s any kind of frequent defect with any mannequin of the A21 simply but. There have been many remoted incidents of telephone batteries catching fireplace throughout many alternative manufacturers. As for why these batteries can catch fireplace, here’s our explainer about why that happens.