EXCLUSIVE: House conservatives launched a brand new memo prematurely of President Biden‘s Wednesday summit with Vladimir Putin calling out the Democrat’s “robust phrases however weak actions” and providing recommendation on insurance policies that would really counter Russian aggression.
In a brand new memo obtained by Fox Information, the Republican Research Committee (RSC) – the most important group of Home conservatives – outlined 5 measures that Biden may enact. His face-to-face assembly with Putin in Geneva comes after crippling Russian-originated cyber ransomware assaults, and Republicans say Biden must be doing extra.
“Within the run-up to the summit, President Biden has tried to flee criticism by way of robust speak to cowl his lack of motion,” the RSC memo circulated Tuesday stated. “Whereas President Trump spoke softly however carried a giant stick, President Biden appears to be outlined by the method of ‘communicate loudly, however carry a twig.’ It’s a fantasy to count on that Putin would change his conduct with out the imposition of great prices on his regime.”
The RSC is led by Rep. Jim Banks, R-Ind.
Listed below are the 5 issues the RSC says Biden must be doing:
1) Sanction Nord Stream 2 – The White Home waived sanctions towards the German firm overseeing the potential Russian-built Nord Stream 2 pure gasoline pipeline operating below the Baltic Sea to Germany. That undertaking may doubtlessly enable Moscow to bypass Ukraine, Poland and different international locations in Jap and Central Europe that acquire transit charges on the vitality. Biden ought to reverse that call and implement the bipartisan congressionally mandated sanctions within the Defending Europe’s Power Safety Clarification Act (PEESCA), the memo says.
2) Keep Trump-era protection budgets – The RSC says countering Russia means growing protection spending, whereas Biden’s Pentagon finances request will increase spending by a modest 2% and does not preserve tempo with inflation.
3) Sanction the Navalny listing – Detained Russian opposition chief Alexei Navalny identified a list of Putin cronies that America ought to sanction. The Biden administration ought to present it’s critical about human rights by imposing sanctions on these people who meet the factors “for extreme human rights abuses or vital corruption,” the memo says.
4) Beef up sanctions on Russia – Biden may impose much more sanctions on Russia and will search to expel Russian banks from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Monetary Telecommunications (SWIFT) worldwide monetary community. “Sanctions on Russia have nonetheless not been utilized to their fullest extent,” the RSC memo states.
5) Designate Russia a State Sponsor of Terrorism – The RSC says Russia meets this terror normal by way of its “assist of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, the Taliban, the Russian Imperial Motion, and its direct cooperation with Hezbollah in Syria.”
The Related Press contributed to this report.