For several days, a porcupine has been walking through the streets of Bielsko Podlaski. Eventually he was caught entering one of the rectory grounds. The animal was to be taken over by volunteers from the Animal Care Society. The latter, however, stressed by the situation, started shooting spikes at them. One of the women was injured in her leg.
– It was a few minutes after midnight. We sat with friends in front of the monument of Pope John Paul II. A friend at one point said: Either I am hallucinating, or a porcupine is walking down the street – says Daniel Jakubowicz.
Everything happened on Sunday night (September 27) in Bielsk Podlaski.
He locked the porcupine in the basement and called the servants
– I was surprised, but not as much as I could have been, if I had not read in the local media early that a porcupine had been running around the streets for several days. One to read it and the other to see it live. I told my friends that the animal must be caught – says our interlocutor.
The porcupine passed through the gate leading to the rectory of the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Nicholas. Then he hid in the basement.
– I closed the door behind him and called the services. The fire brigade appeared immediately. It was already around 1.30, so I went home – the man recalls.
The police, fire brigade and TOZ volunteers are in action
Commissioner Agnieszka Dąbrowska from the Poviat Police Headquarters in Bielski Podlaski says that the uniform informed the parish priest about the whole situation and asked that no one open the basement door.
– The fire brigade asked the Białystok branch of the Animal Care Society for help – she adds.
On Monday, around noon, two TOZ volunteers arrived.
– Anyone who thinks that catching such an animal is something easy is wrong. The more that the room had many nooks and crannies, and the porcupine started shooting its spines at some point. One of the volunteers has a wounded leg. The wounds are shallow, but sticking into the skin of such needles is not pleasant – emphasizes Anna Jaroszewicz, president of the Białystok branch of TOZ.
Porcupine caught looking for the owner
The porcupine has been caught in the transporter. He is currently staying – in a suitably adapted pen – with one of the volunteers. – We are checking who had such an animal in the area. In two cases, it turned out that the animals were at home. We will keep looking. If the owner is not found, we will hand him over to one of the centers that take care of exotic animals – says our interlocutor.
The porcupine is found in the wild in Africa. – In Poland it can be legally purchased from breeding – emphasizes Jaroszewicz.
On the other hand, the parish priest, canon Ryszard Zalewski, who had an “extraordinary guest” in the basement, says that the room was fortunately empty.
– So we have no losses in terms of this visit. Although we will remember her for a certain amount – she smiles.
Porcupine was caught in the presbytery of the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Nicholas in Bielsk Podlaski at 4A Kościelna Street
Main photo source: Daniel Jakubowicz