On Monday evening, the rescuers recovered the bodies of two divers who on Sunday went missing in the flooded Maria Concordia mine in Sobótka in Lower Silesia. They also located the body of a third diver. On Sunday afternoon, three divers got stuck during exercise and did not make it to the surface.
Brigadier Karol Kierzkowski from the State Fire Service informed on Monday evening that the rescuers had brought to the surface the bodies of two divers, who had been found in the workings of the flooded mine before noon. Kierzkowski also informed that the rescuers located the body of the third of the wanted divers. – Activities will continue on Tuesday morning – he added.
On Monday, a specialized group of divers of the State Fire Service resumed the search for the missing persons, interrupted on Sunday. A few minutes before noon, the spokesman of the Wrocław fire brigade, Tomasz Szwajnos, informed that the divers had managed to go under the water.
– The first dive was over, the divers got out of the water and told us that they had managed to find two bodies. We are now unable to confirm the identity of these people. At this point, preparations are underway for the second dive. At the moment, the only thing we can do is prepare the area for further underwater activities, clean the entrance itself, there is a lot of accumulated equipment – said the firefighter.
The bodies – as emphasized by the spokesman of the Wrocław fire brigade – were located by civilians – specialist divers.
Application from the mine
The services received information about the incident on Sunday at about 2 p.m. – In Sobótka, in the area of an old mine, in an adit at a depth of several meters, five people dived: two instructors and three divers with qualifications, taking part in a training course. Three people left within the allotted time. The instructor and the student remained under the water, initially reported by Aleksandra Rodeck from the press office of the Wrocław police.
TVN24 reporter Tomasz Mildyn then talked about this matter with Captain Szwajnos. He verified the previously reported information and reported that six experienced divers were involved in the dive. – Two people swam in from the cave, the third swam up to them. These three people did not come back to the surface, he said.
Szwajnos noticed that the conditions there were very difficult. “The water is very cloudy, visibility is practically zero,” he informed late Sunday afternoon.
Firemen from several provinces in action
Specialized units of the State Fire Service from several provinces take part in the search. – We had to look for rescuers all over the country who specialize in cave diving. There is a group from Opole, a combined group from Lubuskie and Greater Poland, there is a diver from Gdańsk and rescuers from the mine rescue group from KGHM – said the firefighter.
The police explain the circumstances
Krzysztof Marcjan from the press office of the Municipal Police Headquarters in Wrocław said that the police, under the supervision of the Wrocław Krzyki-West District Prosecutor’s Office, are conducting an investigation into the accident, which is to clarify the circumstances of the tragic event. – We will check whether the persons conducting the diving course have had appropriate training, and whether the owner of the facility has a permit to conduct this type of activity – said the policeman.
The Maria Concordia magnesite mine was launched in the 1920s. The excavation has many levels, and mining was stopped there in the 1960s. The plants were finally closed in the 1990s. The flooded mine is often used by divers for exercise.
Main photo source: TVN24 Wrocław / Grzegorz Hawałej