10.4 C
London
Friday, May 24, 2024

Canada, Sweden, Ukraine and the UK have filed a lawsuit with the ICJ against Iran over the downing of the plane

Must read

- Advertisement -


Canada, Sweden, Ukraine and the UK are suing Iran at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague. The case concerns the shooting down of the Ukrainian passenger plane PS752 in 2020. The families of the victims expect Tehran to issue an apology and pay compensation to the families of the victims.

CanadaSweden, Ukraine and Great Britain sued on Wednesday Iran before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague over the shooting down of the Ukrainian passenger plane PS752 in 2020, Reuters reported.

In announcing the move, Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly said “impunity is not an option” and said the Ottawa government would pursue “the transparency, accountability and justice that families deserve.”

The families of the victims expect Tehran to issue an apology and pay compensation to the families of the victims.

- Advertisement -

Plane shot down over Iran

In January 2020, a Ukrainian plane with 176 people on board was shot down shortly after taking off from Imam Khomeini International Airport in Tehran. Just before that, the Iranian military launched missiles at American forces in Iraq and could expect retaliation.

A few days after the crash, Iranian authorities admitted that its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps “unintentionally” shot down the plane as a result of “human error” – the operator believed that the Ukrainian Boeing was an American missile.

Iran shot down a passenger planeReuters archive

In April, an Iranian court sentenced 10 members of the Revolutionary Guard to prison terms of up to 13 years, but this did not satisfy the victims. The association of victims’ families considered this to be a “fictitious ruling”: court sessions were held behind closed doors, the victims’ families were not present at the hearings, and the jurors were of low rank.

In addition, Iran did not respond to a request for arbitration submitted last year, which, according to the Tehran claimants, four states, was to decide to bring the case before the International Court.

The applicants allege that members of the Revolutionary Guards attempted to intimidate the families of the victims, that the authorities destroyed evidence and failed to conduct an impartial, fair investigation in accordance with international law. They also believe that Tehran has not taken all the necessary steps to prevent the airliner from being shot down.

Main photo source: Reuters archive



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article