2.6 C
London
Friday, January 28, 2022

CENTCOM confirms drone strike focused Al-Qaeda chief in Syria

Must read

- Advertisement -


NEWNow you can take heed to Fox Information articles!

The USA navy performed a drone strike in Syria focusing on a senior al-Qaeda chief and planner, a CENTCOM spokesperson says.

“U.S. forces performed a kinetic strike close to Idlib, Syria, December 3, focusing on a senior al-Qaeda chief and planner,” CENTCOM spokesperson Captain Invoice City advised Fox Information Digital in a press release. “The strike was performed utilizing a precision strike technique from MQ-9 plane.”

Syria’s Bashar Assad
(AP)

- Advertisement -

AUSTIN ORDERS INVESTIGATION OF SYRIA AIRSTRIKE THAT KILLED CIVILIANS

City added that an “preliminary overview of this strike signifies the potential for potential civilian casualties.”

“We abhor the lack of harmless life and take all potential measures to forestall them. The potential of a civilian casualty was instantly self-reported to U.S. Central Command. We’re initiating a full investigation of the allegations and can launch the outcomes when acceptable,” City added.

US MILITARY WAS TIPPED OFF ABOUT IRAN-BACKED ATTACK ON TROOPS IN SYRIA, SAVING LIVES

File photo - Airman 1st Class Andrew Frano, an MQ-9 Crew Chief, at Holloman Air Force Base, N.M., Dec. 19, 2016. (U.S. Air Force photo by J.M. Eddins Jr.)

File picture – Airman 1st Class Andrew Frano, an MQ-9 Crew Chief, at Holloman Air Power Base, N.M., Dec. 19, 2016. (U.S. Air Power picture by J.M. Eddins Jr.)

CENTCOM says it’ll reveal the outcomes of the strike “when acceptable.”

The White Home didn’t instantly reply to a request for remark from Fox Information Digital.

Information of the strike comes days after Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin ordered a renewed investigation right into a 2019 airstrike in Syria that resulted within the deaths of civilians after the assault was first reported intimately by the New York Occasions earlier this month.

U.S. Military Forces commander Gen. Michael Garrett has been assigned to conduct the investigation, which is able to overview “experiences of investigation already performed” whereas additionally conducting “additional inquiry into the info and circumstances” of the strike, Pentagon press secretary John Kirby stated Monday.

President Joe Biden points to the Oval Office of the White House as he arrives on Marine One on the South Lawn in Washington, Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021, as he returns from Wilmington, Del. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

President Joe Biden factors to the Oval Workplace of the White Home as he arrives on Marine One on the South Garden in Washington, Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021, as he returns from Wilmington, Del. (AP Picture/Carolyn Kaster)
(AP Picture/Carolyn Kaster)

The investigation stems from a March 2019 strike on ISIS in Baghouz, Syria, in help of U.S.-allied Syrian Democratic Forces, who called for air support after they have been attacked by ISIS fighters.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Whereas the Syrian fighters, U.S. particular operations forces working within the space, and an unmanned aerial car overhead flying above the battlefield reported no civilians within the space the place the strike was to be carried out, later experiences from a UAV operator stated there could have been civilians within the space the place bombs have been dropped.

The New York Occasions report final month particulars that there have been principally ladies and kids within the space the bombs have been dropped, presumably ensuing within the deaths of 70 civilians.

Fox Information’ Michael Lee contributed to this report



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article