He is 41 years old, has not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and is currently in a hospital in Poznań. A man suffering from coronavirus was hooked up to the ECMO apparatus because “conventional methods could not be effective for him anymore”. Doctors who watch over the patient appeal: – Before you advise against vaccinating younger people because they are outside the risk group, remember that there are more and more cases such as this patient.
A photo of a man hooked up to an ECMO apparatus appeared on social media. The photo of the patient was published as a warning by the employees of the Heliodor Święcicki Hospital in Poznań. “(…) the anesthetic team is fighting for the life of a 41-year-old unvaccinated patient suffering from COVID-19. It was transferred to us from the Temporary Hospital for the purpose of implementing and running ECMO, i.e. extracorporeal blood oxygenation” – we read in the entry.
– The patient came to us with about 90% of the pulmonary parenchyma affected. So, unfortunately, no conventional therapy methods could be effective for him. The patient met the criteria for starting extracorporeal therapy, popularly known as ECMO. It is currently in a stable state, but this does not mean that it is not in a life-threatening condition – says TVN24 Prof. dr hab. n. med. Krzysztof Kusza, head of the anesthesiology and intensive care unit at the Heliodor Święcicki Clinical Hospital in Poznań.
– If he had been vaccinated, could this scenario have been different? – the TVN24 reporter asks.
– I suppose the severity of this disease would not be such that the patient would have to use last-resort therapy – explains the professor.
“ECMO is not a therapy, it is a help”
What is ECMO? Doctors call this type of prosthesis therapy, used to treat acute respiratory failure, caused by – as in this case – COVID-19 disease, which affects the lungs. This method is highly invasive and involves extracorporeal blood oxygenation through the use of specialized medical equipment. Only specialized hospital departments can connect a heart-lung machine. The work of an interdisciplinary team of medics is necessary.
– I am just pointing out that ECMO is not a therapy. It is only an aid to a possible regression of changes in the lungs, or when, after two or three weeks, we begin to communicate with a transplant center that will qualify the patient for lung transplantation, explains Professor Kusza.
What will be the fate of the 41-year-old patient? The professor points out that the patient is a young person, so he has a chance of recovering from the disease. For now, doctors are monitoring his health and are waiting for a computed tomography scheduled for Thursday. For patients who do not show improvement in respiratory function over time, a transplant is usually considered.
That is why medics from this hospital in Poznań appeal in social media: “Before you advise against vaccinating younger people because they are outside the risk group, remember that there are more and more cases such as this patient.”
Vaccination is the only method that I currently know that allows me to get COVID-19 as mildly as possible even in the event of an infection. This is especially true for people with comorbidities. But this also applies to parents of children who go to school and are not vaccinated.
Highest number of cases in the fourth wave
On Wednesday, the tests confirmed 24,239 new coronavirus infections in Poland. Most patients were diagnosed in Mazovia – 5,084. 463 people with COVID-19 died. This is the highest figure in this wave of the pandemic. A week ago, on November 10, there were 18,550 new cases and 269 deaths. A year ago, on November 17, 19,152 new infections were detected, and 357 people died. Wielkopolska is in the third place among the voivodships with the highest number of infections (2,135).
Almost 20.2 million Polish women and men are fully vaccinated, and 1.3 million of them also took a booster dose, according to government data.
We have 24,239 new and confirmed cases of infection #coronavirus from the following voivodeships: Mazowieckie (5084), Śląskie (2728), Wielkopolskie (2135), Lublin (1938), Dolnośląskie (1712), Łódź (1543), Małopolskie (1538), West Pomeranian (1238), Pomeranian (1015),
– Ministry of Health (@MZ_GOV_PL) November 17, 2021
Main photo source: FB – Hospital of them. Heliodor Święcicki in Poznań