After the premiere of “Dziady” at the Teatr im. Juliusz Słowacki in Krakow, the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage withdrew from co-financing the institution. Now the theater wants to be helped by the Association of Stanisław Wyspiański. It intends to collect three million zlotys.
– Our association, under the patronage of Stanisław Wyspiański, wants culture not only to be available, but also to be at all. We are facing a situation in which it is up to us, as citizens, how much of it will be left at the end of this year – said the president of the organization, Arkadiusz Klej at the press conference.
Reported that online collection for the benefit of the Krakow scene, it started on Wednesday. Its aim is to fill the theatre’s budget gap, which will allow for the realization of performances and ongoing operations. The seat of the institution is also undergoing a renovation, which will not only consume funds, but also temporarily shut down the main stage.
– The assumption is that the collection will last until the end of this year. During this time, we hope – in various ways – to collect three million zlotys in order to fill the entire budget gap that appeared after the recent events – said glue.
In this way, the president referred to the situation of the theater, whose management was counting on this year’s support from the Ministry of Culture. For months, efforts had been made to make the department a co-host of the scene; Piotr Gliński, the head of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, informed at the end of last year that the cooperation would not take place.
Theater director about the “catastrophe” in connection with the decision of the ministry
Theater director Krzysztof Głuchowski believes that such a turn of events is a consequence of the November, widely commented premiere of Dziady directed by Maja Kleczewska – a performance criticized by the education curator Barbara Nowak from Małopolska and the minister of education Przemysław Czarnek. The manager of the Krakow scene called the release of the news about “the lack of support from the ministry at the last minute, that is just before the beginning of the financial year” as “a catastrophe”.
Due to the situation in which the facility found itself, its friendly association calls for support for the collection, buying tickets and following all activities that will be guided by the slogan #teatrjestnasz.
– We know that Wyspiański was a very rebellious figure – our patron was able to reject the offer only because he did not like it, but each time he tried to respect certain values. And this fundamental value to which we should all be faithful is a certain freedom of the creators “- pointed out Arkadiusz Klej.- Our members will raise funds for the theater in various ways, so that we will never have to organize collections in which we try to for culture to survive – emphasized the president of the association.
The ministry withdrew from co-financing the theater
Minister Gliński informed at the end of December last year that there will be no cooperation between the Krakow scene and the Ministry of Culture, responding to a letter from MPs Małgorzata Kidawa-Błońska (KO) and Iwona Śledzińska-Katarasińska (KO) on this matter.
“I would like to inform you that, in fact, we were considering co-running the Juliusz Słowacki Theater in Krakow – just as we are considering co-running many new cultural institutions reporting to us every year – but we have decided that from the new year we will co-run other important institutions culture “- wrote in the minister’s reply posted on social media.
The fact that the Małopolskie voivodship secured an amount of one million zlotys more in the budget for this year than in the previous year – for the purpose of operating the Słowacki theater – back in December by the Marshal’s Office.
Main photo source: TVN24