The judgment of the Constitutional Tribunal on the unconstitutionality of some provisions of the Treaty on European Union and pro-EU demonstrations was commented on Tuesday in “Kropka nad i” by Aleksander Kwaśniewski. – We must take into account such a scenario that when PiS has an alternative – to maintain power or take money from the EU, they choose to remain in power – said the former president. He said that “parts of the United Right are Eurosceptics.” – I think that Jarosław Kaczyński belongs to them – he added.
On Sunday, in many cities in Poland, pro-EU demonstrations were held in reaction to last week’s judgment of the Constitutional Tribunal on the unconstitutionality of some provisions of the Treaty on European Union. In Warsaw, people gathered at Castle Square. A group of several dozen nationalists, led by Robert Bąkiewicz, disrupted the speeches, for example when Wanda Traczyk-Stawska, a veteran of the Warsaw Uprising, spoke.
Kwaśniewski: let them drown out, but our voice of a democratic and free Poland must be heard
These events were commented on by former president Aleksander Kwasniewski in “Kropka nad i” on Tuesday. – Let them drown out, but our voice, the voice of a democratic and free Polish country, must be heard. Everything must be done to make it so, he said.
– Polish political life has fallen very low in recent years and we will long raise it to some level of such a culture that will allow us to listen to each other as a minimum, but as long as PiS rules, I think it will be impossible – he added.
Asked if he believed that PiS wanted to lead Poland out of the European Union, or if this ruling by the Constitutional Tribunal was only directed inside the country to reassure Zbigniew Ziobro and the acolytes, Kwasniewski said that PiS had never been a formation that liked the Union very much. He added that “part of the United Right are Eurosceptics.” – I think that Jarosław Kaczyński belongs to them – he added.
– Ziobro would most eagerly lead Poland out of the EU in order to implement his pseudo-reform, that is, to take over the property, under his disposition, of the judiciary. Other Eurosceptics would like the Union to step back, not to integrate further, to go back to the state it was 30 years ago. The most important thing is that she gives them peace of mind and money – he assessed.
– We must take into account such a scenario that when PiS has an alternative – to maintain power or take money from the EU, they choose to remain in power – said the former president. – So for them today it is more important to maintain power, that is, to obtain all the necessary instruments to make it possible, than some hundred million money from the European Union. It is very dangerous, but I think it is, ‘he added.
When asked if he thought that we would not get money from the Reconstruction Fund, he assessed that “in the current state of affairs, if the Polish authorities do not make a gesture, these funds will be frozen”. “I have no doubts about that,” he added.
Kwaśniewski: Kaczyński has always liked to have political hooligans around him
Kwaśniewski also referred to the issue of subsidies granted to Robert Bąkiewicz’s associations. He said that “PiS’s power is based on polarizing Polish society.” – In this division, such a group of neo-fascists as Mr. Bąkiewicz is useful. Maybe not to officially praise them, but to make them do their job – he assessed.
– These gentlemen beat some drums, others maybe play more sophisticated violin, but this is the PiS orchestra, which is designed to conduct a policy that will allow you to win next elections, nominate their people for the most important positions, marginalize Poland in the EU – assessed Kwasniewski.
Considering that Jarosław Kaczyński’s brother, former president Lech Kaczyński was the founder of the Warsaw Uprising Museum, and now two of its participants are insulted, Kwasniewski said that if you asked Jarosław Kaczyński about it, “he will say that he did not know anything about it, and indeed it was sad”.
– It’s orchestrated. This is the division of roles. I think Jarosław Kaczyński has always liked to have political hooligans around him who did work that he did not want to do with his own hands. This is the role played by Mr. Jacek Kurski, such a role is played by some ministers in the government, Mr. (Ryszard) Terlecki in the Sejm – he assessed.
Kwaśniewski: Poland’s presence in the EU is one of the best platforms for uniting the opposition
The former president was asked if he missed the Polish 2050 leader Szymon Hołownia and the PSL president Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz on the stage during the demonstration in Warsaw. According to Kwasniewski, the organizers of this event, headed by Donald Tusk, should say “to what extent they reached out to these people”.
– I think that Poland’s presence in the European Union is one of the best planes for uniting the opposition – assessed Kwasniewski.
– In fact, she is not very debatable, so you can gather on one stand both Szymon Hołownia and Kosiniak-Kamysz, and (co-chairman of the New Left, Robert) Biedroń, who was, and (co-chairman of the New Left, Włodzimierz) Czarzasty and, of course, Tusk, (the president of Warsaw, Rafał) Trzaskowski and so on – he assessed. – I would very much appeal to Donald Tusk to take care of it for the future – he said. According to Kwasniewski, such events should be organized broadly as the entire opposition.
Main photo source: TVN24