There are new facts about the events at the hospital in Pszczyna. A woman, who was in the same room with 30-year-old Izabela, said that she “was afraid to sleep, as if she was afraid she would not wake up”. – At night, she was already kneeling on the ground, vomiting. They took her out of the room, saying that other patients must be refreshed and sleepy, because tomorrow they have surgery – she recalls in an interview with “Note!” TVN. – I would prefer to be unwashed, and that she should be alive – she adds.
Izabela was hospitalized in the 22nd week of pregnancy due to the loss of amniotic fluid. She sent messages to her mother all day long, saying that she was feeling worse and worse. She suspected he had sepsis. Doctors, although they could legally perform an abortion in a situation where a woman’s life was in danger, waited for the fetus to die. The young woman died.
Representatives of the hospital in Pszczyna, where 30-year-old Izabela died, claim that the woman was properly looked after by the staff and doctors. – She was under constant medical care. There was no situation in which she was left unattended. The whole team took care of her and the treatment process was conducted from the very beginning – claims Barbara Zejma-Oracz, spokesman for the County Hospital in Pszczyna.
Report of a patient who was in the same room as Mrs. Izabela
The patient, who was lying in the same room with Mrs. Izabela, recalls that she “reported that she had a greenish discharge”. “She felt something was wrong, but they kept telling her that the heart of the fetus was beating and as long as it beats it must be so,” she added.
She also admitted that Mrs. Izabela had repeatedly reported to midwives about her health condition. – She also told the doctor who was there only once. There was no doctor all afternoon. She began to feel worse and worse. Fortunately, she had her own thermometer, and kept taking her fever every now and then. It bothered her, she said.
The patient, who was lying in the same room with Mrs. Izabela, mentioned that she saw the situation when Izabela was “sitting cross-legged on the bed and shaking all over”. – She must have had a fever of 40 degrees. I went to get the midwives, the doctor. Only the midwives came, checked if he really had such a high fever and left. They came back some time later and gave her a drip with some antipyretic drug, the woman reports.
– The midwife said she probably had a cold because she had that voice. She replied that she did not have a cold, but that she felt that something was wrong with her – adds the woman. The former patient emphasizes that Izabela told the midwife: “Something is wrong with me, something is happening to me”. He points out that a doctor was not called then.
– After the drip, she came back to her for a moment, we talked again, but after a few hours the fever returned and she was given another drip. In the meantime, she was in surgery and the doctor did not find any abnormalities. The heart was beating, so everything is fine – added a former patient from the hospital in Pszczyna. – I hear her words to this day that she wants to live, she does not want to die, she has someone to live for – she pointed out. She admitted that Mrs. Izabela was aware that she might die.
A wave of protests and a comment by Mrs Izabela’s family representative
The news of the death of a 30-year-old hospital patient in Pszczyna sparked a wave of protests in the country. For some protesters, she is a victim of doctors’ fear of even legal abortion.
– In such cases as Ms Izy, doctors have one, quite broad, premise at their disposal. If the maintenance of the pregnancy threatens the life or health of a woman, the doctor has the right to terminate such a pregnancy – notes Jolanta Budzowska, representative of the deceased Izabela’s family. “In this case, the doctors waited for the fetus to die, probably to avoid the charge of an illegal abortion,” he adds.
The lawyer emphasizes that this is “turning the case on its head because the doctors were perhaps afraid of the abortion charge, but they certainly did not take advantage of the legal wicket they had”. – They should terminate their pregnancy legally because Ms. Iza’s life was in danger. This life-threatening condition grew dynamically – he adds.
The account of the woman who shared the room with Mrs. Izabela confirms this version. She was afraid to sleep, as if she was afraid she would not wake up. At night, she was already kneeling on the ground, vomiting. They took her out of the room, saying that “here the patients will have surgery tomorrow, they must be asleep and rested”. That was the last time we saw her – he recalls.
– I would prefer to be unwashed, and that she should be alive – she adds.
– It was a terrible experience for me. I talked to her a lot, I knew where she works, what she does. After leaving the hospital, I called her partner and I wanted to tell you what happened in the hospital – she says. He reminds that Mrs. Izabela orphaned her daughter. – Let’s hope that they will come to the truth and someone will tell this child why there is no mother – he adds.
Main photo source: TVN’s attention