Guests of “Coffee on the bench” on TVN24 on Sunday commented on the words of opposition representatives who suggested that the term of office of the president of the National Bank of Poland, Adam Glapiński, should be shortened. KO MP Jan Grabiec announced that his party would present expert opinions on doubts as to the correctness of Glapiński’s appointment for a second term next week. – I have not heard of any expert opinions that would undermine the competences of the president – replied Jakub Kumoch from the Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland.
During the Friday press conference following the meeting of the Monetary Policy Council, President of the National Bank of Poland, Adam Glapiński referred to “a series of statements by politicians” aimed at him. Leader of the Civic Platform Donald Tusk said last week in Radomthat if the PO wins the election, it will “lead Glapiński out of the NBP”. He also said that the legal obstacles related to the re-election of Glapiński for a second term at the National Bank of Poland were indicated by experts from the President’s Chancellery.
He also talked about “taking the NBP president out” after winning the elections in “Fakty po Faktach”, MP from PO Tomasz Siemoniak. – Strong people will come and convince him that he is not the president of the National Bank of Poland. This is the sphere of elementary order in the state. We have duplicates of the illegally elected Constitutional Tribunal, we have Glapiński, who, according to the reports for President Duda, should not be the president of the NBP for the next term of office. Such matters have to be dealt with. All these people should politely leave – said the vice-chairman of the Platform on TVN24. – There will come a day when we will win the elections and president Glapiński will cease to be the president of the NBP – he added.
Glapiński informed that the legal department of the National Bank of Poland was preparing “appropriate letters to the relevant judicial authorities in order to hold Mr. Siemoniak accountable”.
Grabiec: there are doubts as to the correctness of Glapiński’s appointment for a second term
The matter was commented on by guests in “Coffee on the bench” on Sunday on TVN24. Jan Grabiec, a member of the Civic Coalition, assessed that there are “many grounds for dismissing President Glapiński before the end of his term”. – Starting with doubts about the correctness of appointing Adam Glapiński for a second term – he said. He added that his group had legal expertise on the matter, which he would show “at the beginning of the week”.
– If there are constitutionalists who say that there are very serious indications that it is illegal, moreover, there have been opinions that the decisions of the Monetary Policy Council may be questioned due to the fact that an unauthorized person serves as the chairman of the council, these doubts must be taken into account, because it is about the economic and financial situation in Poland – he said.
Glapiński stated that “he is a man who does not care about the economic situation in Poland, nor does he care about the economic situation of Poles, he only cares about the political interests of the ruling party”. – This is a betrayal of the constitutional role of the NBP president – he added.
Kumoch: I have not heard of any expert opinions that would undermine the competences of the president
– The president is outraged by these words that speak of removing government officials from office and while he is president, government officials will not be removed either in this way or in any other way, violence will not be used and methods known from countries will not be used far from European standards – said Jakub Kumoch from the Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland. He added that he hopes it is a metaphor, but “certain metaphors should not be used because unfortunately they have very bad associations and may not always be perceived by everyone as metaphors.”
He called for “to respect the constitutional order and to respect the functioning of the state.”
– The President of the National Bank of Poland is appointed by the Sejm at the request of the president for no more than two terms, end, period – these things have been fulfilled – he said. – I have not heard of any expert opinions that would undermine the president’s competences in this matter – he added.
Czarzasty: he should definitely lose his office
– We have two problems – said the MP from the Left and the deputy speaker of the Sejm Włodzimierz Czarzasty. – One problem is the evaluation of Mr. Glapiński’s work and the sense of appointing him for a second term, and here I believe that I have an unambiguous opinion. The work is terrible, I believe that Mr. Glapiński has deceived the nation, he is really just a liar – he said. In his opinion, his appointment for another term was “a bad idea”.
Referring to the possible ending of the term of office of the NBP president, he said that “certainly Mr. Siemoniak, when using this statement, did not think about a violent solution”. “Maybe he said it awkwardly, but I spoke to him and he certainly wasn’t thinking about it,” he added.
– I would be very distanced to such unequivocal guarantees that Mr. Glapiński will be dismissed the day after the opposition takes power – said Czarzasty. He stated that he believed the PO, that it had expertise on the appointment of Glapiński, but he did not know them. According to Czarzasty, Glapiński “should certainly lose his office”, although he does not have such expertise.
Main photo source: TVN24