I’m not going anywhere, I will deal with Polish matters, declares the leader of the Civic Platform, Donald Tusk. At Tuesday’s press conference, he was asked whether he intended to replace the current head of the European Commission in Brussels. He added that in a few weeks Ursula von der Leyen will officially receive support from his party for another term.
During the press conference, a TVP employee asked the leader of the Civic Platform Donald Tusk – citing Radio Zet – is it true that he has an agreement with his ministers only for a year, and then he will want to replace the head of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, in Brussels. The candidate of the parliamentary majority for prime minister was also asked whether he would declare that he would be prime minister for four years and would not leave for any EU position.
– One of the few sensible actions or decisions of the Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki in Europe there was support four and a half years ago for Ursula von der Leyen as president of the European Commission – noted Donald Tusk.
– The Polish government, like the Hungarian government, was very involved in promoting this candidacy, and I, as the head of the European Council, ending my term, was skeptical. Ursula von der Leyen was not my candidate, but Mr. Morawiecki’s and Mr. (Viktor) Orban’s, among others. This picture in Europe is not as simple as Public Television would sometimes like to present, including the German aspects, said the head of PO.
– I’m not going anywhere. I have read these speculations and I know who spins them, I know your propaganda, your slander that you have been spreading against me for many years, about my escape, about the fact that I am only interested in my position in Brussels. We’ve been through all this, said Tusk.
– You also suffered a defeat during this campaign, because fortunately, most Poles did not believe you and now no one believes in this type of spin, in this type of propaganda – he added.
He noted that elections the head of the European Commission will take place much sooner than next year. – So this combination that I have 400 days and after these 400 days I will be the head of the commission is not only untrue, but also stupid, very incompetent. You need to know a little, I’m talking about the authors of this spin, said the PO leader.
Tusk: I will be dealing with Polish affairs during this time
– In a few weeks, Ursula von der Leyen will officially receive support also from my political party for another term as head of the European Commission, because in Polish matters over all these years she has shown that Morawiecki is right in this matter: she is a friend of Poland, Polish interests and rule of law – he pointed out.
– So I am almost certain – there is never 100 percent certainty – that she will be the head of the European Commission for another five years. And during this time, God willing and the president keeps his word, and health permitting, I will be involved in Polish affairs, including you of course, Tusk emphasized.
Main photo source: Piotr Nowak/PAP/EPA