In “Fakty po Faktach”, Donald Tusk spoke about a possible scenario in which the government wants to lead Poland out of the European Union. – In Poland, we are dealing with an authority that is at its core anti-European, or at least Eurosceptic – he said. – What can stop this process, I am absolutely convinced of it, is the sense of this power, the sense of PiS that the majority of Poles do not agree to it – he explained.
Leader of the Civic Platform, former prime minister and former president of the European Council Donald Tusk was a guest of the Friday edition of “Fakty po Faktach”. The program discussed yesterday’s decision of the Constitutional Tribunal, which ruled on the application of Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and concluded that some provisions of the Treaty on European Union are inconsistent with the Polish constitution. On the same day – in connection with this verdict – announced the assembly on Sunday at 6 pm “We can only keep them together” – he stressed.
– I invite everyone – said Tusk in “Fakty po Faktach”. – I invite you, because I feel obliged, as a Pole who was the head of the European Council, to pay special attention to what is happening in our membership in the European Union – he explained. “He takes this issue deadly seriously,” he warned.
– I have warned everyone for many, many months that this march to polexit, preparing Poland for leaving the European Union, is a serious project. It can really happen – he explained.
“Nobody has tested this path yet,” he continued. He mentioned here that Brexit, that is the withdrawal of Great Britain from the EU, was the result of “a political mistake of the prime minister who wanted to keep them in the Union by means of a referendum.”
– In Poland, we are dealing with an authority that is at its core anti-European, or at least Eurosceptic. Jarosław Kaczyński himself was always irritated, it was unacceptable for him that there were some restrictions on his will, be it the constitution or independent courts, independent media or the European Union – he said. “He will not rest until he frees himself from these types of limitations,” he assessed.
Tusk admitted that Poland’s exit from the Community was “part of the strategic thinking” of Jarosław Kaczyński.
– What can stop this process, I am absolutely convinced of it, is the sense of this power, the sense of PiS that the majority of Poles do not agree to it – he pointed out.
He also pointed out that “for several days we have been dealing with a narrative that we do not need European money at all”.
– Why am I mentioning this? Kaczyński’s game is very clear. As long as Poland is unequivocally a recipient of money from the European Union, the support is very high. It remains an open question how the moods in Poland will change when we slowly catch up with these expenses and with what we get. Because we are a country, one way or another, more and more developed and sooner or later this moment will come – he described.
He made a reservation that he would not be in this conversation, “out of courtesy and decency, he quoted the wise men of this era as MP Suski” and “what they say about the European Union”. – But this process of hating the Union is palpable, it is clearly visible – he noted.
– Therefore, please do not ask me about the precise points of Kaczyński’s plan – he stressed. – As for the goal he is aiming at, there is no doubt. This is Poland outside the structures of the West, outside the European Union – he said.
More of the conversation soon
Main photo source: TVN24