15 C
London
Saturday, June 22, 2024

Earthquake in Turkey. A 12-story skyscraper collapsed, the developer issued a statement. “I don’t take the blame”

Must read

- Advertisement -


“We built the structure in accordance with the plan, design and legislation,” said the owner of the skyscraper in Antioch, Turkey, Mehmet Yasar Coskun, quoted by Cumhuriyet. Under the rubble of the building consisting of 250 apartments, most of the approximately 1,000 inhabitants may be located. The businessman was detained at the airport in Istanbul, from where he intended to fly to Montenegro. He issued a statement after his arrest.

On Friday, February 10 Mehmet Yasar Coskun was detained under a prosecutor’s warrant at Istanbul Airportwhere he was trying to fly to Montenegro – reported the Middle East Eye portal. Four days earlier, an earthquake caused the collapse of the Ronesans Rezidans skyscraper built by his company – located in the southern city of Antioch Turkey. The apartments in the building were presented in advertising brochures as luxury real estate built in accordance with all the requirements of the construction law.

According to the Turkish correspondent of the Spanish daily “El Pais”, most of the 1,000 inhabitants may be buried under the rubble of the 12-story, 250-unit Ronesans Rezidans. As the Turkish website Cumhuriyet reported the day after the arrest, the developer has already been charged with “fraud using public institutions and organizations and legal persons as a tool”.

On Thursday, a day before the arrest of Mehmet Yasar Coskun, Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag announced that investigations had been launched into the buildings that collapsed during the earthquake and buried thousands of people in rubble. land will be identified and held accountable by the judiciary, said the minister.

- Advertisement -

Ronesans Rezidans luxury skyscraper collapsed due to earthquake. Most of the 1,000 inhabitants may be buried under the rubble.Demiroren News Agency/AFP/East News

SEE ALSO: US HAARP caused an earthquake in Turkey? Another conspiracy theory

Turkey. Skyscraper collapsed, owner statement

Cumhuriyet quotes a statement issued by the arrested Coskun through his lawyer. In it, the businessman informed that the Ronesans Rezidans skyscraper was built by a company run by him and his brother. He emphasized that during the two-year construction and over 10 years of use, no one reported any problems with the building.

“I also do not know why Ronesans Rezidans collapsed. Before the construction began, the ground was tested, it was in good condition. All permits were obtained, the necessary samples were taken (…), the necessary tests were carried out and their control was ensured,” the arrested businessman said. He added that the construction was documented in photos and recordings, and he can share them with investigators.

In the further part of the letter, Coskun assured that he intended to fly to Montenegro, where there are several buildings erected by his company, only for business purposes. “My trip to Montenegro was pre-planned, I bought a plane ticket on February 8. There is no connection between the earthquake and the collapse of the building and my trip to Montenegro. I definitely did not try to leave to avoid the investigation. We built the structure according to plan, design and legislation. So I don’t take the blame.”

Cumhuriyet also cited a statement issued by Coskun’s defense attorney, Kubra Kalkan Colakoglu, in his article. He confirmed that his client flies to Montenegro several times a year, and Friday’s flight was not meant to be an escape attempt. “Society is looking for a criminal, a perpetrator. This perpetrator has been identified as my client. (…) While no action is taken on other collapsed buildings, my client is constantly being discussed in public,” Colakoglu wrote.

Earthquake in Turkey and Syria. Almost 40,000 victims

The epicenter of the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit southeastern Turkey and northwestern Turkey on Monday morning Syria, was located in the Turkish province of Kahramanmaras. Less than 12 hours later, a second 7.7-magnitude quake occurred several dozen kilometers to the north. Both phenomena were accompanied by a series of over 100 aftershocks. The total number of victims of the cataclysm in Turkey and Syria exceeded 37,000.

SEE ALSO: Estonian rescuers halt night rescues in Turkey fearing ‘armed gangs circling around’

Main photo source: Demiroren News Agency/AFP/East News



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article