Artur Balazs and Tomasz Nałęcz discussed the scenarios for consultations between party groups and the president starting tomorrow in “Fakty po Faktach”. – If the president takes consultations seriously, the visit of the opposition coalition, which has the majority, should determine the start of the parliamentary calendar, Balazs said. According to Nałęcz, “there is no such political illiteracy in PiS to make such cosmic brawls.” – Because whatever fights PiS makes, it must hand over power – he noted.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, the Presidential Palace will host consultations with representatives of individual electoral committees that will be represented in the new Sejm. Meetings will be held separately with each of the election committees, in the order consistent with the results achieved by these committees in elections. On Tuesday with Andrzej Duda representatives will meet PIS and KO, and on Wednesday – Third Way, Left and Confederation.
Possible consultation scenarios were discussed in Monday’s edition of “Fakty po Faktach” on TVN24 by Katarzyna Kolenda-Zaleska’s guests – a long-time politician, former Minister of Agriculture, founder of the Conservative-People’s Party Artur Balazs and a historian, former advisor to the president Bronisław Komorowski and former Deputy Speaker of the Sejm, Professor Tomasz Nałęcz.
Balazs: if the president does not do this, it means that he is starting a game around the first session of the Sejm
Balazs pointed out that if the president “takes consultations seriously,” then “the visit of the opposition coalition, which has the majority, should determine the start of the parliamentary calendar.”
– If the president does not do this, it means that he is starting a game around the first session of the Sejm and then anything can happen, including the fact that the first session of the Sejm will not elect a speaker. It is a possible scenario that the senior marshal will postpone the meeting for a dozen or several dozen days, that this will continue and that the game will continue around the election result, which is absolutely certain, Balazs suggested. He added that, in his opinion, “the president will not launch the electoral calendar and speed up what is needed.”
Balazs recalled that “the sovereign’s judgment, which the president so often referred to, is unambiguous.” – If he seriously considered it, he should start this calendar – he said.
– I will feel that the elections are over only when the Speaker of the Sejm is elected. This is extremely important and any other calculations, including personal ones, regarding the composition of the government, do not make much sense until the marshal is elected, Balazs concluded.
Nałęcz: I cannot imagine such lawlessness
Nałęcz was asked about the scenario presented by Balazs, and more specifically whether, in his opinion, the senior marshal could actually delay the appointment of a new marshal.
– I believe that the scenario that Minister Balazs would assume is a scenario of a brawl that is simply unthinkable, because the senior marshal’s duty is to open the Sejm, deliver a speech, and then swear in the deputies. I cannot imagine such lawlessness and such usurpation of the senior marshal, he admitted. – Although I can imagine various people in this position, nominated by President Duda, who would postpone the meeting without the deputies being sworn in – he added.
Nałęcz continued that if “we assume such a scenario, that we have such a troublemaker who swore in the deputies and did not fulfill his second, sacred duty, did not elect the marshal, then the senior marshal calls a break, leaves, the vast majority of deputies stay in the room, exposes this illegal decision and decides to continue the meeting.
“This is the biggest test for PiS”
Balazs, continuing the thread, emphasized that he would like to be wrong about this. – I would like it to be as Marshal Nałęcz says, but my political experience tells me that we may encounter various surprises on the way to completing the electoral process and taking power – he admitted.
As he said, “it’s better to be prepared for these surprises than to feel that we were completely taken by surprise.”
– So I would like to be truly, absolutely wrong, I would like my suspicions and doubts to be dispelled in this matter. And this is the biggest test for PiS, the way of transferring power. I would really like PiS to pass this exam, but after Pegasus, after what has happened in recent years, I am afraid that this process may have its problems – he said.
“The more embarrassingly PiS transfers power, the more severely it will lose the next elections.”
Nałęcz – responding to these words – said that in his opinion “there is no such political illiteracy in PiS to make such cosmic brawls.” – Because whatever fights PiS makes, it must hand over power – he argued
– The more embarrassing he delivers it, the more severely he will lose the next European local government elections – he added. He concluded that, therefore, “two guillotines hang over this head.”
Main photo source: PAP/Mateusz Marek