The person who won the elections has the right to form a government, said presidential minister Andrzej Dera in “Kawa na Ława”. – I believe that President Andrzej Duda will respect the electoral verdict and entrust the mission of forming a government in the first step to the person who presents at least 231 votes – said Borys Budka of the KO club. Meanwhile, Joanna Scheuring-Wielgus from the Left admitted that she was afraid that the president “would not have the courage to go out to the future and talk to us, the opposition parties.”
According to exit poll conducted by Ipsos, the democratic opposition has a chance of winning 248 seats in the Sejm. The study shows that Law and Justice can count on 200 seats, and the Civic Coalition on 163. Third Road, the Left and Confederation also enter the Sejm. According to Ipsos, voter turnout was 72.9 percent.
Politicians talked about the poll results and what the political reality might look like after the elections in “Kawa na ława” on TVN24.
Presidential Minister Andrzej Dera was asked who President Andrzej Duda would designate as prime minister and entrust with the mission of forming a government. As he said, “the one who won the elections has the right to form a government.” – This is also the case in other countries and it is a normal and natural way – he said. According to him, “you cannot deprive those who won the opportunity to create a coalition.”
READ ON KONKRET24: Rule without a majority in the Sejm? Government election scenarios
– Parliamentary custom is that the party that wins the elections has the opportunity to form a government. If he does not use this, the other option is the Sejm, the Sejm majority, and nothing extraordinary will happen here – he continued.
– There is no reason to change this parliamentary custom. It is good and used in various other countries, he added.
Deputy Minister of Culture and National Heritage, Jarosław Sellin, said that “the president will entrust the mission of forming a government to the winning party.” – And this group will decide who it chooses as prime minister – he added.
Budka: I believe that President Andrzej Duda will respect the election verdict
The head of the Civic Coalition club, Borys Budka, said he could not imagine “the president not respecting the will of the voters.”
– If the president decided to entrust such a mission to a person who represents a party without any coalition ability, i.e. PiS, the president is actually showing that it will only be a game for time. It will be a time management game to clean up the mess, to destroy documents, to hide certain things, he said.
– I believe that President Andrzej Duda will respect the electoral verdict and entrust the mission of forming a government in the first step to whoever presents at least 231 votes – added Budka.
Mucha: those in power will still need these few weeks
Joanna Mucha (Poland 2050, Third Way) assessed that the president “should actually plan his actions for the near future, exactly in the way (…) that Borys Budka talked about a moment ago.” – That means first consultations with all parliamentary parties, then entrusting (the mission of forming a government – editor’s note) to the force that is able to obtain a vote of confidence – she said.
She also said that, in her opinion, “those in power will still need these few weeks to prepare to hand over power.” – Let us all hope that it will be passed peacefully and without any new excesses – she added.
Scheuring-Wielgus: I am afraid that the president will not have the courage to look towards the future
– I am afraid that President Andrzej Duda will not have the courage to look into the future and talk to us, the opposition parties, to respect the voters’ results – said Joanna Scheuring-Wielgus from the Left.
She emphasized that “voters have shown that they are fed up with these eight years of rule by the so-called United Right, that they want something different.” – I believe that the coming days will definitely be nervous days for Law and Justice. We’ll come to an agreement. We have shown that we can cooperate with each other, but Jarosław Kaczyński will not want to give up power – added the Left MP.
Zajączkowska-Hernik: we will definitely not raise the white flag
Ewa Zajączkowska-Hernik from Konfederacja admitted that the result obtained in the exit poll by her formation “is not satisfactory.” – We were counting on at least 10 percent – she added.
She also noted that “we are waiting patiently for the real results of these elections and we will definitely not raise the white flag.” – We will continue to look at the hands of the authorities, whether it will be the opposition authorities or the authorities from Law and Justice, which I doubt. Because let us also remember that even if the president commissions the establishment of a government by Law and Justice, the opposition in the Sejm will simply dismiss this president by a majority of votes, she added.