During the Thursday summit of the European Political Community (EPC) in Moldova, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz stressed the need to provide Ukraine with “strong, specific, very clear” security guarantees. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky met with leaders of more than 40 European countries at the Mimi Castle in Bulboaka, saying he had received a signal from allies of strong support for combat aircraft.
During the summit of the European Political Community in Moldova president of France Emmanuel Macron he told journalists that Ukraine should be offered security guarantees at the NATO summit to be held in July in Lithuania.
– The Vilnius summit must send a clear signal to Ukraine and Ukrainians. I am in favor of stronger, concrete, very clear security guarantees. He added that these issues will be the subject of his talks with Scholz, which will take place on June 7 in Potsdam.
The German chancellor said during a press conference that future security guarantees to be provided by Western countries to Ukraine must be different from those offered by NATO member states.
– Considering the current situation, it is not about establishing Ukraine’s membership in the Alliance. We all need to focus on how we can individually support Ukraine,” Scholz said.
He added that security guarantees should be constructed in such a way as to protect Ukraine against attacks and stabilize the country at the same time.
Declaration by Macron and Zelensky on pilot training
The presidents of France and Ukraine, Emmanuel Macron and Volodymyr Zelenskysigned on Thursday at the summit of the European Political Community in Chisinau a joint declaration on the training of fighter pilots, the Elysée Palace announced.
“We, the presidents of Ukraine and the French Republic, met today in Chisinau on the sidelines of the second summit of the European Political Community and reaffirmed our agreement, reached during the bilateral meeting in Paris on May 14, 2023, that France will contribute to protecting the Ukrainian population from Russian strikes with equipment air defense,” the statement said.
“As agreed at the twelfth meeting in the Ramstein format on May 25, 2023, we confirmed that we are ready to introduce the necessary framework to start training Ukrainian fighter pilots in accordance with the needs of the Ukrainian Air Force,” it said.
“Given parallel consultations with the United States and other countries, we have instructed our defense ministers to prepare a formal framework and training mechanism for pilots and aircraft mechanics,” the document states.
Prime Minister Sunak: Ukraine’s rightful place is in NATO
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, during his stay in Moldova, stressed on Thursday that “Ukraine’s rightful place is in NATO” and assured that his country will support Ukraine not only now, but also in the years to come.
He said he was “proud” of the UK’s achievements in supporting Ukraine and added: “we want to make sure we have a long-term security arrangement in place for Ukraine so we are sending a very strong signal to Vladimir Putinthat we are not going anywhere, we are here permanently and we will continue to support Ukraine – not only now, but for years to come.”
Zelensky: We received strong support for combat aircraft
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky met with the leaders of over 40 European countries during the summit of the European Political Community. At a press conference, he noted that in the run-up to the transfer of modern fighters to Ukraine, however, help is needed to provide more Patriot air defense systems to defend against Russian air strikes.
– Until we have planes, we need more Patriots. Why Patriots? Because they are able to shoot down all kinds of Russian missiles. We have many other weapons, but Patriots are Patriots,” Zelensky said.
– Allies are ready to help us, I felt strong support from many countries, what is important – (it was said) about a large number of fighters – noted the Ukrainian president. “I am convinced that in the near future, thanks to the leadership of the United States, we will be able to unite and form this coalition,” he added.
Biden: American support for Ukraine will not waver
In turn, the president of the United States Joe Biden in a speech to the new graduates of the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, he declared that American support for Ukraine would not waver.
– The spirit of freedom of Ukrainians will never be broken. They are incredible. Ordinary women and men fighting, giving their lives for their country and their families. We always stand for democracy,” Biden said in a speech at the graduation ceremony of the Air Force Academy graduates in Colorado Springs.
– I ask you to think: what will happen if we falter and Ukraine collapses? What will happen to Belarus? What about the rest of Eastern Europe? the president added. He also noted that contrary to Putin’s hopes, NATO is united in supporting Ukraine and promised that Sweden would soon join the Alliance.
Main photo source: PETER KLAUNZER/EPA/PAP