Family allowance is intended to partially cover the cost of maintaining a child. Please note that submitting the application by the end of August will ensure the continuity of the payment of the benefit. The application can be submitted online.
The family allowance is granted to both or one of the parents of the child, the child’s legal guardian or the child’s real guardian. The allowance is granted until the child reaches the age of 18 or attends school – up to the age of 21. In the case of a child with disabilities up to the age of 24, if he or she continues education at school or university.
Adult learners who are not dependent on their parents can also apply for child benefit. This applies to situations where the person’s parents are dead or have to pay maintenance. In such a case, the benefit is granted until the age of 24.
Family allowance – application
The right to family allowance is determined for the benefit period. The benefit period begins on November 1 and ends on October 31 of the following calendar year. Applications can be submitted online from July 1, and from August 1 also in traditional paper form at the office.
In the case of electronic means, applications for family benefit are accepted via the Emp @ tia portal or ePUAP (epuap.gov.pl). To be able to submit an online application, you need a secure electronic signature or a trusted profile.
The application must be accompanied by:
– an abbreviated copy of the child’s birth certificate or other official document confirming his age, if the child is in education and is over 18 years of age,
– a certificate or a declaration of family income, – in the case of a child over 18 years of age – a declaration or a certificate from a school or university confirming that the child is continuing education,
– in the case of a disabled child – a certificate of disability or a degree of disability,
– in the case of a learner whose parents are dead, a copy of the parents’ death certificates,
– in the case of a foreigner staying on the territory of Poland – a copy of the residence card,
– in the case of a single parent – a copy of a copy of a final judgment of the court adjudicating on divorce or separation or a copy of the death certificate of the spouse or parent of the child.
Family allowance – deadlines
However, you should remember about important dates. If the person applying for the family allowance for the new allowance period submits the application along with the documents by August 31, the entitlement to family benefits is determined and the due benefits are paid by November 30. This means continuity in the payment of the benefit.
If the application is submitted in the period from September 1 to October 31, the entitlement to family benefits is determined and the due benefits are paid by December 31. On the other hand, if the person applying for the benefit submits the application in the period from November 1 to December 31 of a given year, the entitlement to family benefits is determined and the due benefits are paid by the last day of February of the following year.
The amount of the family allowance is 2021
The amount of the family allowance is monthly:
– PLN 95 for a child up to the age of 5,
– PLN 124 for a child over 5 up to 18 years of age,
– PLN 135 for a child over 18 up to 24 years of age.
Granting the right to family allowance depends, inter alia, on on meeting the income criterion. The family allowance is granted if the average monthly family income per person or the income of a learner does not exceed PLN 674.
If a family member is a child with a certificate of disability or a certificate of moderate or severe disability, the family allowance is granted if the average monthly family income per person or the income of the person studying does not exceed PLN 764.
In certain cases, it is possible to obtain a benefit despite exceeding the income criterion. The principle of “PLN for PLN” applies to granting family benefits. Thanks to this mechanism, exceeding the income limit by, for example, PLN 30 will not mean the total loss of the allowance, but its reduction by the amount of PLN 30.
Main photo source: Shutterstock