The water tower towers over the railway station in Tłuszcz, it comes from the 1920s. According to the Mazowiecki Voivodship Conservator of Monuments, it is the most valuable element in the station complex. It has just entered the register of monuments.
The water tower is located in the area of the Tłuszcz railway station, at Warszawska Street, on the route of the former Petersbursko-Warszawska railway line, opened for use on May 18, 1862. The tower was built in the first half of the 1920s. According to the Mazowiecki Voivodship Conservator of Monuments, it was erected by the Iron-Concrete company on Facebook.
It was damaged during the war
“The tower was damaged during the bombardment on September 3, 1939. After World War II, it lost its original cupola. The current roof has a secondary roof truss, changed structure and sheathing. The structure of the original form and architectural structure has largely preserved the architectural detail on the facades” – the conservator wrote in the entry.
He added that the tower belongs to a valuable group of buildings erected in the 1920s (e.g. in Nasielsk, Sochaczew, Pilawa, Żyrardów). “They are characterized by a coherent design idea drawing on both the local building tradition and the historicizing style. The building is a document of propaganda and culture-forming activities of the rebuilding Second Republic of Poland” – explained in the release.
– The tower is the most valuable element in the station complex in Tłuszcz, it is architecturally characteristic and the only relic of the steam railway buildings preserved in this place, along one of the oldest railway routes in Mazovia. At the same time, it documents the development of railway engineering and architecture. The monumental values of the building are complemented by its immediate surroundings, currently the area of the Tłuszcz plot, constituting the functional and communication facilities of the tower and enabling its use, and thus a document of the history of the building and its operation. Jakub Lewicki.
Main photo source: Mazovian Voivodship Conservator of Monuments/Facebook