Austrian authorities say three sufferers have died in a hearth that broke out in a single day at a hospital in a city simply exterior Vienna
BERLIN — Three sufferers died in a hearth that broke out in a single day at a hospital in a city simply exterior Vienna, Austrian authorities stated Tuesday. Police stated they think a cigarette set off the blaze.
The hearth broke out in a fourth-floor room on the hospital in Moedling, and rescuers had been unable to save lots of three males who had been in that room, Matthias Hofer, a spokesman for Decrease Austria province’s well being company, informed the Austria Press Company. A girl was barely injured.
Authorities had been alerted shortly earlier than 1 a.m. to the hearth, which crammed the inner drugs ward with smoke. Round 90 sufferers had been evacuated, with some being moved to different elements of the hospital and others transferred to a clinic in close by Baden.
The hearth was extinguished by 3 a.m.
Proof factors to a cigarette having been the trigger, police spokesman Stefan Loidl informed APA later Tuesday.
Investigators consider that the hearth began within the mattress of a 75-year-old man who was a heavy smoker. The room’s window had been tilted open for air flow.
The person was one of many victims, together with two others aged 78 and 81 within the four-patient room. The fourth affected person wasn’t within the room on the time and wasn’t harmed.