For the eighth day, the services are searching for Grzegorz Borys from Gdynia, suspected of murdering his six-year-old son. People close to the case claim that the man has survival equipment. There are unofficial reports of shelters being found in the forest.
If you are experiencing emotional problems and would like advice or support, here you will find a list of organizations offering professional help. In a situation of immediate threat to life, call 997 or 112.
Friday is the eighth day of the search for Grzegorz Borys, a soldier suspected of murdering his six-year-old son. Several hundred officers are involved in the activities: police, border guard, fire brigade, military police, as well as guides with tracking dogs and foresters.
According to unofficial information obtained by the “Fakt” daily, the man could have been hiding in specially prepared pits in the forest. – He has baskets in them (…) and covers everything with branches and a pile of leaves, so that you can walk over it and no one will notice – says an informant of “Fakt”, who is well aware of the search activities.
The Internet also featured, among others: photos of a makeshift dugout.
Notice on safety in the forests around Gdynia
On Thursday, a message regarding safety in the forests around Gdynia was issued by the Gdańsk Forest District. “Walking in forest areas, especially with dogs, may interfere with police activities, covering up traces and hindering the work of police dogs. Therefore, we appeal for a temporary suspension of visits to forests under police operations for the sake of our common safety,” the foresters wrote on social media.
They also stated that they were obliged to support the activities of the police services. “The police, with the support of the Military Police, the Forest Guard and firefighters, are continuing an extensive search operation, using all available forces and resources to locate the wanted man,” they said. They called for solidarity in pursuing a common goal – “ensuring the safety of our community and effectively solving the current situation.”
Was the wanted person seen by policemen in the Tricity Landscape Park?
On Thursday, informants of the Polish Press Agency reported that the services were sure that the wanted man was in the forest near Gdynia.
– We are finding places where the wanted person was hiding – the police said unofficially.
Previously, the Polish Press Agency reported information from unofficial sources that those looking for Grzegorz Borys had at least two signals that he might be in the Tricity Landscape Park.
– Those taking part in the raid saw a figure of a man in the forest, which disappeared from their sight – the man escaped. The second signal was recorded by a helicopter penetrating the park area – probably a human figure that suddenly disappeared from the thermal imaging camera, as if it had sunk into the ground – a police officer involved in the search told PAP unofficially.
– The fact that such forces and resources are gathered in this part of Poland proves that those in charge of the search are convinced that this man is there – said Maciej Szuba, a detective and former policeman, in an interview with “Fakty po Południu”.
The spokeswoman of the Provincial Police Headquarters in Gdańsk, Commissioner Karina Kamińska, said that she would not talk about the details of the action and the area where the officers operated. – Our actions are aimed at detaining the wanted man. The actions of random people mean that instead of focusing on the search for Grzegorz Borys, we have to protect entrances to the forest against unauthorized persons – she said. The area where the activities are carried out has many natural hiding places that the wanted person could have used. There are trenches, tranches, artillery positions and places where armored units dug in from World War II. Such tranches include, among others: along the Kacza River. Most of the war remains are German fortifications from 1945.
– The Tricity Landscape Park has a specific topography. It is located on the so-called edge of the plateau, so it is characterized by mountain and foothill terrain, often compared to the Beskids and Bieszczady Mountains. Not only are there large differences in elevation, but 90 percent of it is covered with forest areas of various types, including both beech forests and wet and boggy riparian meadows – explains Anna Moś, head of the Gdańsk branch of the Tricity Landscape Park.
There are several tourist, walking and cycling trails running through the Tricity Landscape Park – both through the part searched on Tuesday (the area between Dąbrowa and Chwarzno) and on Wednesday (the area between Karwiny and Witomin). There are also allotment gardens adjacent to the forest areas in Chwarzno and Wiczlin, which are usually abandoned in late autumn and can also be a hiding place.
A European Arrest Warrant has been issued
On Wednesday, the prosecutor’s office announced that the court issued a European Arrest Warrant for the wanted person.
– The European Arrest Warrant means that the man will also be wanted outside the country, in the European Union – said prosecutor Grażyna Wawryniuk, spokeswoman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Gdańsk.
– The most important thing is that the order operates far beyond the borders of Poland and does not require additional procedures. The procedures in this case are well developed, because this is not the first case when perpetrators of serious crimes are detained abroad and quickly brought back to the country – added Maciej Szuba, a private detective.
Expanded search area
As of Wednesday, the area of operation of the services involved in the search for the wanted person has been expanded and focuses on the area between Witomin and Karwiny. The police – just like foresters now – appealed not to enter the forest.
A similar appeal was made by the Tricity Landscape Park Service. As Michał Piotrowski, press spokesman for the Pomeranian Marshal’s Office, said, the TPK Service “appeals to refrain from entering the Tri-City Landscape Park, especially in the Wiczlino-Chwarzno area to the Bypass, the area from the Bypass between Chwarznieńska Street to Witomina and Karwiny to Mały Kack” .
“Due to the search operation in this area, there is a threat to the life or health of residents, as well as the fear of covering up the traces. The criminal may also be dangerous. Obstructing the officers’ work significantly affects the extension of the search operation,” Piotrowski emphasized in the release. He added that it is also important not to allow dogs into the park. “We are asking (…) for caution and to temporarily refrain from walking,” concluded the spokesman.
The officers also appeal to send all information regarding the search to the following e-mail address: Gdynia.p Szukania@gd.policja.gov.pl.
“However, much information requires clarification, so we would like to ask you to provide a contact telephone number in the e-mail sent to us. This will facilitate contact between the police and the person who has the information,” we read in the message published on the X platform.
– We are between Karwiny and Witomin in Gdynia. Military Police and police officers are involved in the search. That’s nearly half a thousand uniformed officers. Of course, the number of one thousand officers at the disposal of the search operation commander remains unchanged. The area is very difficult and vast, so we work in selected sectors – Commissioner Karina Kamińska, spokeswoman for the Provincial Police Headquarters in Gdańsk, told TVN24 on Wednesday.
The search for Grzegorz Borys. RCB alert, police message
In connection with the search for Grzegorz Borys, the Government Security Center issued another alert on Wednesday evening: “Do not obstruct the services’ operations and do not enter the forest in the Tricity Landscape Park.”
Some residents of the Tricity and surrounding areas received an alert with similar content on Thursday morning.
Also on Tuesday, an RCB alert was issued, with an appeal to the inhabitants of Gdańsk, Gdynia and Sopot and the Kartuzy poviat. “Attention! The police in Gdynia are searching for Grzegorz Borys. Do not obstruct the services’ operations and do not enter the forest between Karwiny and Chwarzno,” the text message warned.
Murder of a six-year-old in Gdynia
The police received information about murder of a six-year-old at ul. Górnicza in Gdynia on Friday around 10. After 13 The Provincial Police Headquarters in Gdańsk published the image and data of the boy’s father, 44-year-old Grzegorz Borys, wanted in this case. A manhunt has begun.
The prosecutor’s office issued a decision to charge Grzegorz Borys with an offense under Art. 148 pairs 2 point 1 of the Penal Code, i.e. murder with particular cruelty. An application was also submitted to the court for the man’s temporary arrest. Grzegorz Borys is wanted on an arrest warrant as a suspect throughout the country. The court issued a European Arrest Warrant for the wanted person.
– We’re looking for him both alive and dead. We are searching from water, from land, from the air – emphasized Kom. Kamińska in a conversation with the reporter of “Fakty” TVN, Jan Błaszkowski. As the reporter reported, tracking dogs led to a nearby pond, but there the trail broke off and a search of the reservoir yielded no results.
Footage from a car repair shop
Over the weekend, the police published more photos and a video of the 44-year-old woman. It comes from a car repair shop that Grzegorz Borys visited a few days before the murder. It shows, among other things, how a man moves.
“He may be dressed similarly or in the same way,” the uniformed officers inform.
The prosecutor’s office on the preliminary results of the autopsy of the six-year-old
On Saturday evening, an autopsy was performed on the child, which confirmed that he died as a result of cuts to the neck.
– According to the expert’s preliminary findings, the cause of the child’s death was hemorrhagic shock, coexisting with cerebral hypoxia, as a result of massive hemorrhage from damaged large blood vessels within the extensive neck wound, said Grażyna Wawryniuk, spokeswoman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Gdańsk.
In the photo published by the police, he is being chased in a Polish Navy uniform. The Military Police confirmed that the man is an active soldier of the Polish Army.
The six-year-old’s body was found by his mother. There was also a dead dog in the apartment.
Main photo source: Adam Warżawa/PAP