-0.1 C
London
Sunday, November 28, 2021

Germany: the government rejects Belarus’s proposal for a humanitarian corridor and the admission of 2,000 migrants

Must read

- Advertisement -


Berlin does not accept Belarus’ proposal to send 2,000 migrants to Germany via the humanitarian corridor, German government spokesman Steffen Seibert said on Monday.

– The idea of ​​a humanitarian corridor to Germany for 2,000 migrants is a solution acceptable to Germany or the European Union – said Seibert, quoted by the Reuters agency.

November 18 German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer he also spoke about it, denying the reports of the Belarusian side.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke twice on the phone to Alyaksandr Lukashenka last week. It was criticized by many politicians in the European Union countries. Polish authorities, as well as the authorities of the Baltic states emphasize that any decision regarding the crisis caused by Belarus on the EU’s eastern borders must be agreed unanimously and it cannot be acted on without consultation.

On Thursday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel hosted an online conference with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Filippo Grandi and the Director General of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Antonio Vitorino on humanitarian aid for migrants residing in the territory Belarus, informed the spokesman of the German government at the time.

- Advertisement -

– The Chancellor emphasized the important role of UNHCR and IOM in humanitarian care, protection and the return of people who remain in Belarus. She pledged to support both organizations in the effective implementation of their work, said Seibert on November 18.

Interview of the heads of diplomacy of Poland and Germany on Monday

On Monday afternoon, the head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Zbigniew Rau, will have a telephone conversation with the head of German diplomacy, Heiko Maas, about the current situation on the Polish-Belarusian border, said the spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Łukasz Jasina.

A crisis continues at the borders of the EU and Belarus. Since the spring, the number of attempts to illegally cross the Belarusian border with Lithuania, Latvia and Poland by migrants from the Middle East, Africa and other regions has increased sharply. The EU and member states emphasize that this is the result of the deliberate actions of Alyaksandr Lukashenka’s regime, which instrumentally uses migrants in response to sanctions.

Until December 2, a state of emergency is in force in the strip near the Polish-Belarusian border. The media do not have access there, so journalists reporting the situation in the region can rely almost exclusively on the statements of the authorities and services.

A state of emergency on the eastern borderPAP

Main photo source: Shutterstock



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article