The Presidium of the Sejm punished Confederation MP Grzegorz Braun with the maximum penalty at its disposal. This means taking away half of the salary for three months and the entire allowance for six months – announced the Marshal of the Sejm, Szymon Hołownia, on Tuesday. A request was sent to the National Prosecutor’s Office on suspicion of committing a crime by Grzegorz Braun. A Confederate MP with a fire extinguisher in his hand extinguished Hanukkah candles in the Sejm during the Jewish Festival of Lights.
On Tuesday, a member of parliament from the Confederation Grzegorz Braun, using a powder fire extinguisher, extinguished the Hanukkah candles lit in the Sejm. Then he appeared at the Sejm podium. After this event, the Marshal of the Sejm excluded him from the session and announced that he would file a complaint against him with the prosecutor’s office for disturbing a religious rite.
There is an application to the prosecutor’s office
On Tuesday evening, the Chancellery of the Sejm announced that its head, Jacek Cichocki, had sent a notice of suspicion of committing a crime by Braun to the National Prosecutor’s Office.
The notification stated that “the ceremony was disrupted by MP Grzegorz Braun, who used a powder fire extinguisher to extinguish the Hanukkah candles and then directed a stream of extinguishing agent towards an identified natural person participating in the ceremony. [chodzi o Magdalenę Gudzińską-Adamczyk – red.]trying to prevent this act.”
It was pointed out that Braun’s behavior “may be qualified as acts constituting a crime against freedom of conscience and religion, against honor and bodily integrity and against general security.”
“At the same time, I would like to inform you that the above-mentioned event was recorded by the video monitoring cameras of the Marshal’s Guard. At the request of the Prosecutor’s Office, the Marshal’s Guard will provide the surveillance recording” – reads the notification signed by Jacek Cichocki.
Hołownia: scandalous behavior
Earlier, Hołownia appeared at a press conference with other deputy speakers of the Sejm – Monika Wielichowska, Dorota Niedziela (both from the Civic Coalition), Piotr Zgorzelski (PSL-TD) and Włodzimierz Czarzasty (Left). The deputy marshal did not participate Krzysztof Bosak from the Confederation.
– Today, on the premises of the Sejm, both in the main hall and in the Sejm debating chamber, scandalous behavior took place – said Hołownia.
– For 17 years, the ceremony of lighting the Hanukkah candle in connection with this important holiday for the followers of Judaism has been practiced on the premises of the Sejm at the invitation of the Sejm. It was like that this year, he said.
Hołownia added that Deputy Marshal Piotr Zgorzelski participated in this ceremony on his behalf. – A disgraceful incident occurred during it. MP Grzegorz Braun used a fire extinguisher to first extinguish the Hanukkah candles, disturbed order, and then most likely also violated the bodily integrity of one of the people who tried to stop his mad ambitions – he said.
– In the Sejm hall, this was the second place where today we were faced with behavior that disgraced this hall and Polish democracy, we heard Mr. Braun’s statements today that there can be no place for acts of racist, tribal, wild Talmudic worship in the territory of the Republic of Poland Polska that he wanted to put an end to acts of satanic, racist triumphalism, because this is the message of these holidays – added the marshal.
Hołownia: The Presidium of the Sejm punished Braun
– There could only be one reaction from the Presidium of the Sejm and mine in this matter. Mr. Braun was excluded from the Sejm proceedings by me personally for violating the dignity of the Sejm, which means that he will not be able to take part in this session of the Sejm until the end of the first session, he said. He added that the MP left the Sejm building voluntarily and expressed hope that he would return soon.
– The second act, the one that took place here in the hall, is an exhaustion of Article 22b of the Rules of Procedure of the Sejm, which stipulates a serious disruption of dignity and order in the area managed by the Chancellery of the Sejm – said Hołownia. He added that the Presidium of the Sejm met on this matter and, after viewing the recordings from the Sejm cameras in the monitoring center and a short discussion, made a decision, although, as he pointed out, Vice-Marshal Krzysztof Bosak from Konfederacja abstained from voting on this matter.
– The Presidium of the Sejm punished MP Braun with the maximum penalty at its disposal. So he will be – after, of course, being excluded from the Sejm sessions – because this is the first and severe punishment – especially at these important moments – he will be punished with deprivation of half of his parliamentary salary for a period of three months and the entire parliamentary allowance for half a year. This is the highest penalty we could impose, and we had no doubts about it – said Hołownia.
Hołownia: I hope that the Prosecutor General will take the matter into consideration
During the press conference, Hołownia informed that the Presidium of the Sejm also authorized the Chancellery of the Sejm to submit a notification to the prosecutor’s office about the probable commission of a crime under Art. 195 – i.e. disturbing the public performance of a religious act. It reads: “Whoever maliciously obstructs the public performance of a religious act of a church or other religious association with a regulated legal situation shall be subject to a fine, restriction of liberty or imprisonment for up to 2 years.”
The second article of the Penal Code that will be analyzed in this context – said Hołownia – is 217a, which states that “whoever hits a person or otherwise violates his bodily integrity in connection with his intervention to protect people’s safety or public order, shall be subject to a fine, restriction of liberty or imprisonment for up to 2 years.
The Marshal of the Sejm expressed hope that the Prosecutor General would take the matter into consideration. – And that we will be able to decide in the Sejm hall to revoke, I deeply believe, the immunity of Mr. Braun, so that such disgraceful behavior will never be repeated in the building of the Polish Parliament, so that it will never be repeated anywhere in the Republic of Poland – added Hołownia.
Deputy Marshal Piotr Zgorzelski (PSL-TD) said that in order for Poland to continue to be recognized as a tolerant country, “a request from the Chancellery of the Sejm to lift the immunity of this bandit must be formulated.” – Every MP whose hand trembles and does not raise his hand to waive this immunity will belong to Braun’s gang – added Zgorzelski.
Deputy Marshal Dorota Niedziela from the Civic Coalition stated that MP Braun was given a loan of trust. – Today this trust has ended. We will all try to ensure that he no longer brings shame to the Sejm and the Republic of Poland, added Niedziela.
Main photo source: TVN24