What happened today is an act of absolute disgrace, brutality, stupidity, rudeness, which should never have happened – said the Marshal of the Sejm, Szymon Hołownia, in “Kropka nad i” on TVN24, referring to Grzegorz Braun’s behavior. He said that an application in this case would be submitted to the prosecutor’s office on Tuesday evening or on Wednesday morning at the latest. – We cannot allow ourselves to be terrorized by Braun, because that is exactly what such people want – he added.
Szymon Hołownia, Speaker of the Sejm and leader of Poland 2050, referred to the scandal in the Sejm, when Confederation MP Grzegorz Braun grabbed a fire extinguisher in the Sejm hall and extinguished Hanukkah candles, disrupting the celebration of the Jewish Festival of Lights.
He referred to the narrative of representatives of Law and Justice, who claim that it was Hołownia who gave Braun consent to this type of behavior because he had not reacted to other – in their opinion – similar situations before.
– This is obvious political hypocrisy and I can only express my deep regret that in the face of such an event that should unite us all, someone else has the will and strength to play their dirty political games on it – he said.
“It’s an act of absolute disgrace”
According to the leader of Poland 2050, “what happened today is an act of absolute disgrace, brutality, stupidity and rudeness, which should never have taken place either on the premises of the Sejm or in any other place in the Republic of Poland.” – This act of anti-Semitic, xenophobic deviation that we were dealing with here was met with a very clear, specific and decisive reaction – he emphasized.
– Immediately after receiving this information, I took over from the marshal Krzysztof BosakI immediately excluded Mr. Braun from the Sejm proceedings until the end of this session – said Marshal Hołownia.
– Together with the Presidium of the Sejm, we reviewed the surveillance footage, we made a decision immediately, we gathered together, we decided to impose the maximum penalties on him under two articles of the Rules of Procedure of the Sejm, so we deprived him of his parliamentary allowance for half a year and half of his parliamentary salary for three months, and we also authorized The Chancellery of the Sejm to submit an application to the prosecutor’s office regarding Mr. Braun’s behavior, Hołownia continued.
Hołownia: application to the prosecutor’s office on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning
He said that an application to the prosecutor’s office would be submitted today or tomorrow morning. – I hope that the prosecutor general will process it quickly and we will be able to quickly vote to lift Mr. Braun’s immunity after this scandalous event – he added.
– I want to say very clearly that the way that can lead us out of this is not fear, it is not aggression, it is not entrenchment. The Sejm will remain a place open to people of good will, a transparent place, a place that – I hope – will be eagerly watched and visited by voters and citizens of the Republic of Poland. It will not become a besieged fortress, because it is not MP Braun who will now dictate to us with his deviations and aggression how we should behave – assured the TVN24 guest.
– We cannot allow ourselves to be terrorized by Braun, because that is exactly what such people want – said Hołownia.
Hołownia on Bosak’s possible dismissal: it is a serious matter
Hołownia was also asked whether he believed that Deputy Speaker of the Sejm Krzysztof Bosak should be dismissed from his position due to his attitude towards Braun’s behavior. A motion on this matter was raised during today’s meeting by Anna Maria-Żukowska, an MP from the Left. She also mentioned that the Sejm should adopt a resolution condemning today’s anti-Semitic behavior of a Confederation MP.
Hołownia assessed that the actions against the deputy marshal “are a serious matter.” – Much more serious than the one we dealt with, with the project of the Left, which was submitted regarding a resolution condemning anti-Semitism. We’ll see, because (this application – ed.) must also meet certain formal requirements, but dismissing the deputy marshal is a big political thing and it also has to take time – he added.
– Because there are appropriate regulations that determine how to proceed with such an application. We will see whether there will be such a motion and we will consider it, also in the clubs forming the coalition on October 15, said the Marshal of the Sejm.
Main photo source: TVN24