At least two people were injured in heavy shelling near the presidential palace in central Guinea, Conakry, Reuters reported. According to the agency’s interlocutor, the 83-year-old leader of the country Alpha Conde has not suffered. The area is guarded by armed soldiers.
So far, it is not clear who the perpetrators of the attack are, and the authorities of the West African country have not commented on the incident. According to witnesses, the Kaloum neighborhood is deserted as terrified residents obey orders from soldiers to stay at home, the BBC said on Sunday.
The Reuters Agency said two people were injured in a heavy shelling near the presidential palace in Conakry, the capital. A high-ranking government official told Reuters that the 83-year-old president Alpha Conde was not hurt. The agency’s interlocutor did not provide more details. In turn, an interlocutor from the military structures told Reuters that “angry members of the special forces, the army’s elite corps were behind the attack.”
The only bridge connecting the continent to the Kaloum district, which houses most of the ministries and the presidential palace, has been cut off and many armed soldiers have been deployed around the palace, Reuters reported.
Main photo source: Google Maps