16.9 C
London
Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Guinea. A coup in Guinea? The bombers introduced a curfew

Must read

- Advertisement -


Special Forces officers who were supposed to carry out a coup in Guinea ordered a curfew across the country on Sunday night “pending new orders,” the AFP agency reported. According to their announcement, President Alpha Conde is under arrest. The situation in the country remains unclear.

The curfew is in effect from 8pm on Sunday, local time. The purists announced that they would replace governors and local authorities. On Monday, a meeting of the bombers with ministers of the outgoing government and presidents of the most important state institutions is to take place in the capital of the country – Conakry.

Guinea’s government was overthrown – the armed forces colonel said on Sunday of this country on state television. The bombers announced that the president of Alpha Conde is under arrest.

WATCH TVN24 ON THE INTERNET ON TVN24 GO

Guinean soldiers on the streets of ConakryPAP / EPA / STR BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE

- Advertisement -

Coup d’état in Guinea. The whereabouts of the president are unknown

According to a statement from state television, “any refusal to attend this meeting will be treated as a rebellion” against the new authorities. Troops in the country were called to “remain calm and refrain from any movement towards the capital.”

The attackers assured that the 83-year-old president was not in danger and was under medical care. His whereabouts are unknown.

Alpha Conde stopped by soldiers. Reuters cannot confirm the authenticity of the recordingReuters

Earlier, Guinea’s defense ministry said the coup d’état was thwarted and “security forces are working to restore peace and order.” Reuters agency stresses that reports about the situation in Guinea are not verifiable.

Guinea. Political and economic crisis

Guinea, one of the poorest countries in the world, has been in a political and economic crisis for months. Social tensions increased in the African country after Conde took office for a third term. His opponents accused him of election fraud. The situation in the country is also worsening due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The last presidential election in Guinea was held on October 18, 2020, and Conde took office for a third term on November 7 last year.

GuineaReuters

The US and the African Union condemned the attack

On Sunday, the events in Guinea were condemned by the US State Department. “The US condemns today’s events in Conakry. It may limit the ability of the US and Guinea’s other international partners to support the country in its quest for national unity and a better future for the Guinean people,” the statement said.

The coup in Guinea was also condemned by the African Union (AU), which demanded the immediate release of the country’s president. In a statement made, the AU President and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) President Felix Tshisekedi and the Head of the African Commission Moussa Faki Mahamat called on the AU Peace and Security Council to meet for an urgent meeting to assess the situation and take appropriate action.

Main photo source: PAP / EPA / STR



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article