– We basically see how patients bounce off the health care system every day, and the doctor has been reduced by the system to the role of a bumper that, instead of healing, has to bounce the patient off the system – said Łukasz Jankowski, President of the District Medical Council in Warsaw at the conference on Wednesday. – We slept half a year of the pandemic – added the vice-president of ORL Jarosław Biliński. Doctors appealed to the government to introduce changes in the health care system.
Representatives of the District Medical Council in Warsaw called on Wednesday at a press conference for changes in the health care system in the face of the pandemic. – We learn that the number of DiLO cards (allows the use of the fast oncological path – ed.) Drops by 20-25 percent, that patients die without waiting for admission to a stationary hospice – said Łukasz Jankowski, President of the District Medical Council in Warsaw.
“We applaud politicians while standing shoulder to shoulder with patients”
– We basically see how patients bounce off the health care system every day, and the doctor has been, unfortunately, it has to be said, reduced by the system to the role of a bumper that, instead of healing, has to bounce the patient off the system, try to somehow set paths for this patient in this inefficient system – said Jankowski.
– Today, we applaud politicians, standing shoulder to shoulder with patients, because we say: we know what is happening in the system, just like you, ladies and gentlemen, we are confused, but we are also simply sorry. We are simply bad because of what is happening in the system today and that this health care system does not provide health to patients not only with coronavirus, but generally to patients who come to this system today – said Jankowski. – That is why this applause for politicians is bitter applause. Applause aimed at motivating and mobilizing politicians to carry out a thorough health care reform. We feel that some chance for changes in health care has been lost – he added.
He pointed to the beginning of the pandemic, ie March and April, as the time when it was visible what the state of the health care system was in and “when important decisions, including political decisions, had to be made”. – But we applaud, believing that there is still this time, that the red lamp for the ministry, for decision makers and the political class in general should be lit today. There is still time to change this system, because if not now, then when? Today all the cards are on the table – he appealed.
“You are also responsible for your own health”
– The time of the last months has clearly shown that healthcare professionals are necessary and critical for the proper functioning and safety of our patients – said Prof. Zbigniew Gaciong, rector of the Medical University of Warsaw.
He also turned to the patients. – They should behave judiciously having regard to epidemic protection, avoiding endangering their own people. But this common sense is also taking care of your health in relation to other aspects of this health, i.e. the continuation of chronic therapy, reporting medical problems – he said and added that he knows what, for example, admission to a hospital looks like.
– I intend to take appropriate steps to ensure that this process functions efficiently and for the patient in a more friendly manner in the hospitals for which our university is responsible, but you should remember that you are also responsible for your own health – he stressed.
“Patients are not interested in who is currently the minister of health”
Jarosław Biliński, vice president of the District Medical Council in Warsaw, pointed out that, for example, the decrease in the number of DiLO cards does not mean that patients suffer less from cancer, but that they are afraid of visiting a doctor during a pandemic. – People are afraid to go to the doctor, to the hospital, because they are afraid that the system is unprepared for the fact that they with other, serious diseases, can become infected with coronavirus, they can simply die – he said.
– Patients are not interested in who is currently the minister of health, or what regulations came into force yesterday or the day before yesterday. Patients expect to be treated in healthcare by an empathetic physician who they trust, that they will get medical advice, that they will get an examination, that they will be admitted to hospital. We have the impression that the coronavirus is still an excuse to neglect health protection, said Biliński.
He assessed that in the health care system “we still have a collapse”. “The system is unprepared to efficiently reach patients who need it,” he said. – We are asking and appealing to oblige politicians to finally take actions, not gestures, in health care. The applause we have received, we want them to become deeds, and that the package of laws finally enter the agenda, which says that spending on health will be increased to at least 6-8 percent of GDP and to 9 percent within 10 years – he added.
– We expect that politicians will really take care of health and that what is happening today, this six-month pandemic, will not be slept through. Today we slept through these six months of the pandemic. This is the best time to implement bold health care reforms, summed up Biliński.
Main photo source: TVN24