Reducing, copying, and pasting are actions which can be often carried out in apps and between apps: getting an handle from a message right into a map, transferring a picture from an e-mail to a doc, or simply transferring textual content from one finish of a observe to a different. However whereas I’ve identified how one can reduce, copy, and paste on a laptop computer or desktop pc for, properly, ceaselessly, I wasn’t fairly as positive at first how one can do it on my Android telephone.
In actual fact, chopping, copying, sharing, or pasting on Android is fairly simple — regardless of which app you’re in or what you’re attempting to maneuver round. Right here’s how one can do it.
Observe: I’ve examined these strategies on a Google Pixel 8 working Android 14 and a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 working Android 14 and One UI 6.0.
Deciding on, copying, and sharing textual content
The method for choosing textual content on the display screen, whether or not it’s editable textual content (as in a kind) or non-editable textual content (like on a webpage), is identical in most eventualities:
- Press and maintain on a phrase till it’s chosen.
- Drag the handles at every finish of the choice if you wish to embrace extra phrases.
- Faucet Choose all on the pop-up bar above the choice to pick all of the textual content within the part.
In some apps (similar to Google Preserve), it’s also possible to double-tap on a phrase to pick it, moderately than tapping and holding. You may discover this simpler if the app you’re utilizing helps it. (Gmail, for instance, doesn’t.)
Nevertheless you do it, as soon as you choose your textual content, you’ll get a listing of choices that seem above the choice.
- Faucet Copy to repeat the textual content to the keyboard, leaving the unique textual content in place.
- Faucet Lower to maneuver the textual content to the clipboard, eradicating the unique textual content. (You possibly can solely do that in a subject or kind the place textual content is editable.)
Android really has a neat trick the place if there’s textual content on the clipboard if you pull up the on-screen keyboard, you’ll see that textual content prepared to stick simply above the keys — simply faucet the textual content to stick it on the present cursor place. (This works on Google’s default Gboard keyboard, the Samsung Keyboard, and it’d work on different keyboard apps as properly.)
- To stick the textual content, press and maintain your finger on the spot you need to drop the textual content in, then select Paste from the pop-up menu when it seems.
- Faucet Share to ship the textual content instantly into one other app — for instance, to repeat an handle from a web site and paste it right into a message to somebody on WhatsApp.
There’s an alternative choice for those who’re transferring textual content inside a doc: with the textual content chosen, long-press someplace within the choice, then drag it to its new location. This works in the identical manner as going by way of the clipboard and the Lower and Paste choices.
You’ll discover some variations in numerous apps — for instance, in Chrome, the place for those who press on the present website URL, you’ll get a replica icon that you would be able to choose, not a pop-up bar. On the whole, although, use an extended press to pick and replica and an extended press to stick.
Deciding on, copying, and pasting pictures
Working with pictures is much more depending on the app you’re utilizing, in my expertise, however an extended press is an effective place to start out. In Google Chrome, for instance, press and maintain on a picture, and also you’ll see a pop-up dialog with a Copy picture possibility on it.
It’s not fairly this easy in each different app. If you happen to’re a picture in Google Preserve, you’ll want to faucet on it to make it full display screen, then faucet the three dots (prime proper), then select Copy. In Google Docs, you simply want a single brief faucet to deliver up the Copy possibility.
Pasting may be very easy, regardless of which app you’re in.
- As with textual content, long-press on the spot the place you need the picture to be inserted.
- Decide Paste from the pop-up bar that seems.
That is assuming you possibly can paste in any respect. In Google Photographs, which could be the place you’re sharing most pictures from, there’s no copy function in any respect, unusually sufficient. On this app:
- Faucet on a photograph to make it full display screen.
- Faucet Share to deliver up the sharing choices.
- Now you can ship the picture on to another app in your telephone by deciding on the app, however you possibly can’t copy and paste it.
It’s the identical story in fairly a couple of different apps, together with WhatsApp and Google Messages. You possibly can’t entry copy and reduce choices there, solely the usual share possibility.
Whereas the picture copying and pasting course of is moderately inconsistent between apps — and at occasions not accessible in any respect — you need to be capable to get your footage from one place to a different with out an excessive amount of issue.