I totally get why some folks is perhaps cautious of letting different folks see their location continually, however for me, location sharing instruments resembling Discover My and Google Maps have solely had benefits. They imply not having dozens of back-and-forth texts about which bar everyone seems to be presently at, for instance, or not needing to textual content “I’ll be 5 minutes late” as a result of everybody can see I’m en route. And whereas monitoring the placement of older teenagers in all probability received’t occur with out some intense negotiation, it may be useful to see when youthful youngsters have made it to highschool or a pal’s home.
In different phrases, whilst you solely wish to do that with the folks in your life you belief essentially the most, you may discover you come to depend on it greater than you thought you’d. And these instruments do include built-in controls for managing what you’re truly sharing and when.
Right here’s easy methods to set it up.
Location monitoring through Discover My on an iPhone
If you happen to use an iPhone, and everybody you wish to maintain tabs on makes use of an iPhone, then the apparent choice for location sharing is the Discover My app in iOS (and iPadOS and macOS). However first, for this to work as supposed, it’s essential have location sharing enabled in your iPhone:
- From Settings, go to Privateness & Safety > Location Providers.
- Be sure Location Providers is enabled.
- Faucet on Share My Location and allow it.
When you’ve finished that, you may go to the Discover My app:
- From the Folks tab, faucet Begin Sharing Location.
- Faucet the contacts you wish to share your location with (use the + button within the high proper to see extra contacts).
- Choose Ship, and you’ll select how lengthy you share your location: one hour; till the tip of the day; or indefinitely (till you manually disable sharing).
Your chosen contacts will get a notification that you just’re sharing your location with them and could have the choice to share their location in return if they want.
Anybody who’s sharing their location with you’ll present up on the map on the Folks tab. Faucet on a contact identify to see extra details about the contact and to get instructions to their present location.
It’s also possible to arrange location notifications for a specific contact from the contact’s display:
- Faucet Add below the Notifications heading, then Notify Me.
- You may select to get alerts when somebody arrives at a spot, leaves a spot, or just isn’t at a spot.
- It’s also possible to select for the alert to work Solely As soon as or Each Time — if it’s recurring, the opposite individual must consent to it on their telephone.
- Faucet Add to verify.
To briefly cease sharing your location throughout your entire contacts, open the Me tab, and switch off the Share My Location toggle swap. To cease sharing it with a specific individual, faucet their identify on the Folks tab, then select Cease Sharing My Location.
Keep in mind that Apple’s Family Sharing characteristic consists of location sharing: the one that creates the household can decide to allow location sharing for everybody in it. If you happen to’re in a gaggle, open Household and Location Sharing from iOS Settings to see who is ready to maintain monitor of your whereabouts.
Different location monitoring choices
There are a selection of different location monitoring choices you should use past Discover My — which you’re going to want if a few of your loved ones or buddies are on Android. Needless to say you will have to verify everyone seems to be on the identical app.
- Within the Google Maps app, faucet your profile icon (high proper), then Location sharing.
- Choose New share to begin sharing your location with a contact. (If you happen to haven’t but allowed the Google Maps app to have entry to your location, it’s possible you’ll be guided by way of that course of first.)
- The following pop-up dialog field allows you to select a contact (swipe left and faucet Extra in the event you can’t see them).
- Choose the period of time you wish to share your location for: both Till you flip this off or a sure variety of hours.
- Faucet Share to verify.
As with the Discover My app, the contact you’ve chosen will get a notification, plus the choice to share their location in return (which they don’t need to do).
In Google Maps, faucet your profile image and Location sharing at any time to see the place everyone seems to be. Faucet on a contact’s identify to see precisely the place they’re, to show off location sharing with this individual, or so as to add a location-based notification (this may be triggered when somebody arrives at or leaves a specific place).
There are a few different location sharing apps price a point out. Glympse presents loads of options, together with non-public sharing for teams of individuals (like your sports activities membership) and can even work for these in your social circles who don’t have the Glympse app put in — these folks will get a textual content hyperlink to an internet map as a substitute.
Then, there may be Life360, which may be very a lot geared towards location sharing inside households (although it really works for buddies as effectively). You may see areas in actual time, get alerts when folks get to or go away a location, and even get warnings if somebody you recognize could have been concerned in a crash (a bit like Crash Detection on the iPhone).