Studying a brand new language on an Android system? If the language makes use of a distinct alphabet or employs accents that your main language doesn’t, you could want so as to add a brand new software program keyboard to your telephone.
Fortunately, Google’s normal Gboard keyboard features a plethora of language-related keyboards; ultimately depend, it supplied over 500 languages over 40 different writing systems. In the event you’ve already put in Gboard within the US, you’re seemingly already arrange with US English. Nevertheless it’s not tough so as to add a number of new keyboards and rapidly swap from one language to a different. Right here’s learn how to set up and use a number of of the various languages out there. (Observe: this was tried out utilizing a Pixel 3 telephone and Android 12; your interface might fluctuate.)
First, you’ll want to get to the “Languages” web page.
- A method is to open an app comparable to e-mail or chat and faucet in an space the place you may kind with a purpose to deliver up the keyboard.
- Faucet on the settings icon (the one that appears like a gear) simply above the keyboard. In the event you don’t see it, click on on the arrow on the left simply above the keyboard to deliver up the toolbar.
- Choose “Languages.”
You too can get to the web page out of your Android system’s major settings menu. From the settings:
- Choose “System.”
- Choose “Languages & enter” > “On-screen keyboard” > “Gboard” > “Languages.”
When you’ve reached the “Languages” web page, you may add a brand new language:
- Faucet on “Add keyboard” on the backside of the web page.
- Scroll to the language that you simply wish to add and faucet it. (It’s an extended checklist, so that you would possibly save a while through the use of the search icon on the highest proper of the display.) In the event you’ve been utilizing a language-learning or different language-related app lately, the one you need might already be on high beneath “Instructed languages.”
- Relying on the language, you could possibly select from an inventory of a number of forms of keyboards on high of the display. (For instance, you could possibly go for a QWERTY or Dvorak keyboard, or set handwriting choices.) The most certainly suggestion will probably be first, however you may swipe throughout to see others which are out there. On the identical web page, beneath “Language settings,” the “Multilingual typing” choice enables you to select to be given phrase strategies from a couple of language whilst you kind. (Whether or not it’s out there relies on which language you’re including.)
- Whenever you’re completed, faucet the “Achieved” button. You’ll be introduced again to the “Languages” web page the place you’ll see the brand new language listed. Faucet the left arrow on the high left nook to depart the web page.
You’ll now see the keyboard’s language named on the house bar. (In the event you enabled multilingual typing, you’ll see abbreviations of each language names.) As well as, there’ll now be a globe icon to the left of the keyboard as an alternative of the emoji icon. (The emoji icon can now be accessed by way of an extended press on the comma key.)
To vary keyboards, faucet on the globe; your keyboard will swap to the subsequent in line. You too can lengthy press on the house bar and choose the language you need from the pop-up menu.
In the event you’re not utilizing considered one of your languages and also you wish to take away it from the checklist:
- Lengthy press the house bar to get the “Change keyboard” menu.
- Faucet on “Language settings.”
Discover the language you not want, and swipe to the left to take away it.
Replace October 1st, 2021, 4:45PM ET: This text was initially revealed on January third, 2020 and has been up to date to permit for updates within the Android OS.