Your iPhone makes use of info out of your cell service, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS to pinpoint its location, and because you nearly all the time have your telephone on you, your location as effectively. That info might be helpful for lots of issues, equivalent to letting others know the place you’re or discovering your telephone when it’s misplaced. Different instances, it’s simply extra information that companies and corporations acquire about you, creating privateness considerations.
The excellent news is you’ll be able to tighten your controls in order that apps are solely accessing your location when it’s crucial.
Toggling your location settings can differ from telephone to telephone, relying on what mannequin of iPhone you will have and what model of iOS it’s working. The next instructions have been examined on an iPhone 11 working iOS 15; should you’re working a distinct model of iOS, there shouldn’t be a lot distinction.
Flip off location entry for particular apps
Location information is helpful for some apps (for instance, if you wish to order meals) and crucial for others, like maps or ride-shares. Nevertheless, if an app asks on your location and also you don’t really feel it wants the info, you’ll be able to disable location companies for that app. Right here’s how to try this.
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Privateness” > “Location Companies.”
- “Location Companies” will more than likely be switched on. Except you wish to utterly minimize all location companies off (see under), go away it alone
- Scroll all the way down to discover a record of all of the apps that allow location companies. Every itemizing will present the app’s identify and the kind of permission it has: “By no means,” “When Shared,” or “Whereas Utilizing.” “When Shared” refers back to the choice “Ask Subsequent Time Or Once I Share.” In the meantime, “Whereas Utilizing” will normally imply “Whereas utilizing the App,” however it will probably typically additionally check with “Whereas Utilizing the App or Widgets.”
- If you wish to change a particular app’s entry to your location information, click on on the app itemizing.
In the event you click on “Whereas Utilizing the App,” then that app can have entry to your location both when it’s open or when it’s in use within the background.
For extra methods to restrict location entry, click on on “System Companies” on the backside of the “Location Companies” display screen. Right here, you’ll be able to toggle location entry for a variety of issues, together with Wi-Fi, time zone, emergency calls, and Apple Information and App Retailer adverts which are related to your location.
To the left of a number of the service toggles, you might even see a small arrow. A hole arrow means the merchandise could have entry to your location beneath sure circumstances; a purple arrow means the merchandise has just lately used your location, whereas a grey arrow means it used your location someday within the final 24 hours.
To examine whether or not your telephone continues to be gathering location information, go all the way down to the very backside of the “System Companies” display screen and toggle the change on for “Standing Bar Icon.” This can show an arrow on the high of your display screen when an app in your telephone is accessing your location.
If you wish to actually go off the grid, you’ll be able to disable location companies to stop your telephone from gathering any location information in any respect:
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Privateness” > “Location Companies.”
- Toggle the “Location Companies” change to off.
- You’ll get a discover telling you that, whereas Location Companies will probably be disabled for all apps, it should quickly come on-line should you use the “Discover My iPhone” and report your telephone misplaced. Choose “Flip Off.”
If in case you have an iPhone 11 or later
If in case you have a telephone designed with Apple’s U1 chip — equivalent to an iPhone 11 or later — and have disabled location companies for particular apps, you might discover that you just nonetheless typically see the arrow. In accordance with Apple, it’s because these fashions use ultra wideband technology, which Apple says is regulated, so the telephones use location companies to find out in the event that they’re in an space the place extremely wideband use is restricted.
The iPhone requests location information when location preferences are set on an app-per-app foundation, so switching off location companies on your telephone total will cease these location requests since your telephone gained’t have the ability to acquire any location information.
Share your location with people
In the event you’re strolling alone at evening otherwise you’re in an Uber by your self, you may want a good friend or member of the family to know your location in actual time. If in case you have iOS 13 or later, you should use the Discover My app to share your location with household and buddies.
- Open “Settings.”
- Go into “Privateness,” and ensure “Location Companies” is switched on.
- Return to the primary “Settings” menu and faucet in your identify on the high.
- Choose “Discover My.”
- Toggle “Share My Location” in order that it’s on.
- Then go to the Discover My app. If that is your first time utilizing the app, it should ask you whether or not you need it to entry your location. Select both to “Enable Whereas Utilizing App,” “Enable As soon as,” or “Don’t Enable.”
- You could get a display screen explaining that “Discover My” can be utilized with an AirTag or for AirPods, and that there are apps for the watchOS as effectively.
- On the map display screen that seems, choose “Folks” on the backside of the display screen.
- Click on the button that claims “Begin Sharing Location.”
- Within the “To:” discipline, sort in both the telephone quantity or identify of your good friend or member of the family.
- If the individual you choose has a telephone quantity that isn’t related to an iPhone, you’ll be notified with a pop-up. (However you’ll be able to nonetheless share your location.)
- Faucet “Ship,” then choose both “Share for One Hour,” “Share Till Finish of Day,” or “Share Indefinitely.”
It’s going to then begin sharing your location. With the intention to change it off, click on in your contact’s identify within the “Discover My” app beneath “Folks,” then faucet “Cease Sharing My Location.” Affirm by clicking on the “Cease Sharing Location” button that pops up.
Ship recurring notifications
You possibly can have your telephone ship out recurring notifications as effectively. These are helpful if you’d like your good friend or relative to know when a you get to a location (or don’t get there).
- Within the “Discover My” app, faucet the “Folks” tab on the backside of the display screen.
- Choose the individual you wish to ship notifications to (it ought to be anyone you’re already sharing your location with).
- Scroll down till you see “Notifications” and tab “Add.”
- A pop-up from the underside gives you the choice to inform that individual. Choose it.
You possibly can notify the individual whenever you arrive at or go away a particular location, and ship the notification simply as soon as or each time you arrive or go away (for instance, if you wish to let anyone know day-after-day whenever you get house from work).
Share through Messages
You possibly can share your location by way of Messages as effectively:
- Open a dialog in Messages.
- Faucet on the contact identify after which click on “Data.”
- This gives you the choice to “Share My Location,” which gives you the choice to “Share for One Hour,” “Share Till Finish of Day,” or “Share Indefinitely.” Click on a kind of to begin sharing.
- If you wish to cease sharing, click on “Cease Sharing My Location” the place “Share My Location” was. A button labeled “Cease Sharing My Location” will pop up. Click on on that.
Replace September seventeenth, 2021, 10:15AM ET: This text was initially revealed on December twelfth, 2019, and has been up to date to account for variations in iOS and in out there companies.