IMWM forecasters issued first-degree warnings about icing. In many parts of the country, roads and sidewalks may be slippery. There are also warnings against snowstorms.
Forecasters from the Institute of Meteorology and Water Management (IMWM) issued level 1 warnings on a three-level, ascending scale.
IMWM alerts – snowstorms and blizzards
First degree warnings against snowstorms and blizzards apply in the following voivodeships:
- Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship (in counties located in the eastern part of the region);
- Masovian Voivodeship (in counties located in the eastern half of the region);
- Lublin Province (except southern counties).
In these regions, snowstorms and blizzards are expected to be caused by rainfall, with periods of moderate intensity, and winds with an average speed of up to 30 kilometers per hour, locally up to 40 km/h, with gusts up to 65 km/h, from the west.
The alarms will be valid until 11 p.m. on Saturday.
IMWM alerts – icing
Forecasters also warn that wet snowfall will cause icy roads and sidewalks. The minimum temperature is expected to be -12 to -1 degrees Celsius, and at the ground from -14 to -6 degrees Celsius, with the lowest values expected in the north-eastern part of the country. Yellow alerts have been issued for the following voivodeships:
- West Pomeranian Voivodeshipfor the northern and eastern parts of the voivodeship;
- Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship
- Greater Poland (for counties located in the north-east and east of the region);
- Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship;
- Masovian Voivodeship;
- Łódźfor the northern part of the voivodeship;
- Podkarpackie (excluding counties located in the south);
- Lesser Poland (in poviats: Tarnów, TarnówDąbrowski).
The warnings will expire at 9 on Sunday.
What is the IMWM first degree meteorological warning?
The first level warning provides for conditions conducive to the occurrence of dangerous meteorological phenomena that may cause material losses and pose a threat to health and life. Conducting business in conditions of exposure to these factors is difficult and dangerous. Expect difficulties resulting from carrying out activities in the hazardous area, including delays caused by traffic disruptions, disruptions to outdoor events or the possibility of their cancellation. Caution is recommended, the need to follow messages and developments in the weather situation.
Main photo source: Adobe Stock