IMWM is sounding the alarm. A wave of severe frost has reached Poland and will stay with us for several days. Level 1 warnings are in effect in parts of the country. Forecasters also warn against heavy snowfall. In places it may fall up to 20 centimeters. In addition, icing is a threat. Find out where to watch out.
Forecasters from the Institute of Meteorology and Water Management issued first-degree warnings.
IMWM alerts – severe frost
IMWM warns against severe frost. Yellow alerts have been issued in the following voivodeships:
According to IMWM, the forecast minimum temperature on the night of January 6-7 and on the night of January 7-8 will range from -16 to -13 degrees Celsius, and on the night of January 8 to 9 it will range from -20 degrees Celsius to – 16 degrees C. The maximum temperature during the day is expected to reach from -14 degrees C to -9 degrees C.
The warnings will expire at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
IMWM alerts – heavy snowfall
First degree warnings due to heavy snowfall are in force in the following voivodeships:
- Lower Silesiain Kłodzko and Ząbkowice counties;
- Opole provincein the following counties: Nysa, Opole, OpolePrudnik, Krapkowice, Strzelce, Kędzierzyn-Koźle, Głubczyce;
- Łódźin Pajęczno and Radomsko counties;
- Lesser Poland;
- Lublin Provincein the following counties: Kraśnik, Janów, Biłgoraj, Zamość, ZamośćHrubieszów.
Precipitation is forecast to increase the snow cover by 10 cm to 15-20 cm.
In Lower Silesia and the Opole region, the warnings will be valid until 3 p.m. on Sunday, and in other places they will expire at 20 on the same day.
IMWM alerts – icing
Roads will be slippery in some areas. The lowest level of icing warnings apply in the following voivodeships:
- Lower Silesiain the north of the voivodeship;
- Opole, in the north of the region;
- Silesian, in the northern part of the region;
- Lesser Poland, in Miechów County;
- Lublin Provincein the following counties: Kraśnik, Janów, Biłgoraj, Zamość, Zamość, Hrubieszów.
It is forecast that the wet surface of roads and sidewalks will freeze after rain, sleet or wet snow, causing them to become icy.
The alarms will remain in force until 8 on Sunday.
What is the IMWM first degree meteorological warning?
The first level warning provides for conditions conducive to the occurrence of dangerous meteorological phenomena that may cause material losses and pose a threat to health and life. Conducting business in conditions of exposure to these factors is difficult and dangerous. Expect difficulties resulting from carrying out activities in the hazardous area, including delays caused by traffic disruptions, disruptions to outdoor events or the possibility of their cancellation. Caution is recommended, the need to follow messages and developments in the weather situation.
Main photo source: Shutterstock