IMWM issued meteorological warnings. Friday morning will bring dangerously slippery surfaces in parts of the country. There are also snowmelt alerts in force, even to the second degree in some places.
Forecasters from the Institute of Meteorology and Water Management (IMWM) issued first and second degree warnings.
IMWM alerts – snowmelt
Second-degree snowmelt alerts are in force in the following voivodeships:
- Lower Silesiain the Karkonosze poviats and Jelenia Góra, where the dangerous aura will last until 18 on Monday;
- Lesser Poland, in the Tatra district, where warnings will be in force until 18 on Monday;
- Podkarpackie, in the Bieszczady and Lesko counties, where it will be dangerous until 18 on Tuesday;
- Silesianin the following counties: Żywiec, Cieszyn, Bielsko, Bielsko-Biala, where alerts will be valid until 18 on Monday.
An increase in air temperature is forecast, causing a thaw and melting of the remaining snow cover. There will be winds with an average speed of 20-30 kilometers per hour, sometimes gusting up to 50 km/h, from the south. High in the mountains it can reach speeds of 40 to 60 km/h, with gusts of up to 100 km/h.
IMWM also issued first-degree warnings about snowmelt in the voivodeship Lesser Poland, in the following counties: Nowy Targ, Sucha, Myślenice, Nowy Sącz, Limanowski. The alarms will remain in force until 6 p.m. on Monday.
IMWM alerts – icing
It will become slippery in parts of the country. Forecasters have issued level one alerts for icing in the following voivodeships:
- Lublin Provincein counties located in the southern half of the region;
- Masovian Voivodeshipin southern counties;
- Świętokrzyskiein counties located in the northern half of the voivodeship;
- Łódźexcluding northern and western counties.
It is forecast that wet road surfaces and sidewalks will freeze after sleet and wet snow, causing them to become icy. The minimum temperature will be around 0 degrees C, at ground level it will drop to -1 degrees C. Warnings will be valid until 9 on Friday.
What is the IMWM first degree meteorological warning?
The first level warning provides for conditions conducive to the occurrence of dangerous meteorological phenomena that may cause material losses and pose a threat to health and life. Conducting business in conditions of exposure to these factors is difficult and dangerous. Expect difficulties resulting from carrying out activities in the hazardous area, including delays caused by traffic disruptions, disruptions to outdoor events or the possibility of their cancellation. Caution is recommended, the need to follow messages and developments in the weather situation.
What is the second degree IMWM meteorological warning?
The second level warning predicts the occurrence of dangerous meteorological phenomena causing significant material losses and a threat to health and life. Dangerous phenomena or the effects of their occurrence significantly limit business activity. Expect disruptions to your daily functioning. Great caution is recommended, it is necessary to monitor the weather forecasts and developments. Follow all recommendations issued by emergency services in the event of an emergency. Adjust your plans to weather conditions.
Main photo source: Shutterstock