Eleven people have died and four others have been hospitalized after a gas leak in Ludhiana, Punjab, northern India. A state official said – without giving further details – that the leak came from a nearby factory. It has not yet been revealed what gas led to the poisoning of the victims.
The video, shared by India’s ANI news agency, shows a disaster relief team working on the spot and police officers wearing face masks patrolling the area and keeping the local population away from the cordoned-off area.
Among the eleven fatalities are two boys aged 10 and 13.
“People who came to buy milk in the morning passed out in front of the shop”
Experts are trying to determine the source and cause of the leak. The source of the gas leak was not specified.
“The incident happened near a dairy store and medical clinic, but we cannot say where the leak started,” a local authority official said.
He added that “people who came to buy milk in the morning passed out in front of the shop.”
A state official said the leak came from a nearby factory. However, he did not provide any details.
More than 3,500 people died after the spill in 1984
The agencies reminded that in 1984, a toxic gas leak from the Union Carbide factory located in the city of Bhopal in India caused a great industrial disaster in the world.
Within a few days, over 3,500 people died there, and another 25,000 died in the following years as a result of complications after contact with the toxic substance.
Main photo source: AFP/EastNews