11 C
London
Saturday, January 29, 2022

Iran and the nuclear deal. Ehud Barak, former Israeli prime minister, comments on the actions of the US and Israel on Iran

Must read

- Advertisement -


Ehud Barak, former Israeli prime minister, criticized the actions of Israel and the US towards Iran. In his opinion, the US withdrawal from the pact signed in 2015 allowed Iran to build a “nuclear fortress”, and Israel and the US did not develop “Plan B in the form of a surgically planned military operation” against Iran’s nuclear program. Talks are underway in Vienna to revive the nuclear deal.

The former Israeli prime minister wrote on Sunday in a comment in the Jedi’ot Acharonot newspaper that the US withdrawal from the 2015 pact was a decision that allowed Iran to build a “nuclear fortress”. According to the former prime minister, Israel and the US did not develop a “plan B of a carefully planned military operation” after withdrawing from the agreement, which would in turn be another mistake.

WATCH TVN24 LIVE ON TVN24 GO

Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud BarakABIR SULTAN / PAP / EPA

– I speak with caution. It is not certain whether Israel or the United States currently have a viable practical plan, Barak added to Israeli TV Keshet 12. He assessed that Iran is now “three years away” in developing nuclear weapons.

- Advertisement -

Over the past decade, Iran has dispersed its nuclear facilities and hid some of them deep underground. The Israelis say military action against Iran is still possible despite this.

Blinken without optimism, a warning to Washington

Thursday US Secretary of State Antony Blinken He said that despite the resumption of talks in Vienna to revive the 2015 nuclear deal, the United States “was not very optimistic about the Iranian position on this issue.” Negotiations began in Vienna last Monday.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in StockholmErik Simander / PAP / EPA

Antony Blinken, who was in Stockholm at a meeting of the Ministerial Council of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, admitted that “recent actions and recent declarations by Iran do not fill us with optimism”. Despite this, the head of US diplomacy said it was not too late to reach an agreement. “Very quickly, in a day or two, we will know whether Iran is serious or not,” he said.

The commander of Iran’s elite Al-Quds unit last week warned Washington of “the smallest move” against Tehran. The threat came as diplomatic efforts to salvage the 2015 nuclear deal continued.

Negotiations on the nuclear deal resumed in ViennaCHRISTIAN BRUNA / PAP / EPA

– The power and potential of this nation have reached such a level that if you make even the slightest movement, we will knock out your teeth Esmail Ghaani said, quoted by the Iranian media. “It’s long gone the time you could do what you liked,” said the commander of Al-Quds, the elite unit of Revolutionary Guardians.

Talks in Vienna, attempts to revive the agreement

Negotiations in progress in Vienna, are designed to revive the nuclear deal between Iran and the six world powers. In return for restricting its nuclear program, Iran was released in 2015 from sanctions imposed on the country. In 2018, then-US President Donald Trump withdrew from the deal, and since then, Iran has intensified its nuclear development by accumulating supplies of highly enriched uranium. It was a decision supported by then-Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The current Prime Minister, Naftali Bennett, spoke out against the ongoing attempts to negotiate with Iran. – I call on all the countries negotiating with Iran in Vienna to take a firm position and explain to Iran that it cannot enrich uranium and negotiate at the same time – he called during the government meeting on Sunday.

Main photo source: ABIR SULTAN / PAP / EPA



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article