18.4 C
London
Friday, June 14, 2024

Israel condemned for Rafah attack. “This horror must end”

Must read

- Advertisement -


Benjamin Netanyahu announces that he will continue the war against Hamas until “all goals are achieved.” Israel's prime minister says the Rafah raid, which resulted in a fire in a displaced persons camp, was a “tragic mistake.” At least 45 people died. They are mainly women and children. Germany, France and Türkiye, among others, condemned the attack. The Secretary-General of the United Nations once again recalled that nowhere is safe in the Gaza Strip.

The Salman family has been displaced eight times since October. Now he has to run away again. There is little left of her refuge in Rafah. – We were in the tent when suddenly the shooting started. We didn't know where to run. It was dark. Ambulances did not arrive immediately. There were bodies everywhere. We take our belongings. We don't know where to go. Nowhere is safe, reports Manal Salman, a resident of the Gaza Strip.

Netanyahu called Rafah raid a 'tragic mistake'

At least 45 people were killed in the Israeli attack. They are mainly women and children. Many displaced people suffered serious burns. Speaking in parliament, Benjamin Netanyahu called the attack a “tragic mistake.” However, he announced that until Israel achieves all its intended goals, it will continue the war against Hamas.

- Advertisement -

– We evacuated about a million people from Rafah. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to not harm civilians, a tragic error occurred. We are investigating this incident, said the Prime Minister of Israel.

– It is sad that we have civilian casualties, but this is the war that Hamas wanted and started – adds Avi Hyman, spokesman for the Israeli government.

The attack on Rafah was condemned by many world leaders and international organizations. Emmanuel Macron called for an immediate ceasefire. The Turkish president assured that he would do everything in his power to hold those responsible accountable.

The European Union is pressing Israel to comply with last week's ruling by the International Court of Justice, which ordered, among other things, a halt to military operations in Rafah.

– I condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. It shows that nowhere is safe in Gaza. The attack occurred shortly after the International Court of Justice ordered a halt to all military activities in the Gaza Strip, says the head of EU diplomacy, Josep Borrell.

“What happened was the latest and perhaps most cruel abomination.”

A spokesman for the U.S. National Security Council said the United States was working with Israel to determine what exactly happened. He also emphasized that Israel has the right to attack Hamas.

Following the shelling of Rafah, the United Nations Security Council convened an emergency meeting.

“I condemn Israel's actions, which have led to the killing of dozens of innocent civilians seeking refuge from this deadly conflict. There is no safe place in the Gaza Strip. This horror must end,” reads a post by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Platform X.

“Whether the attack on Rafah was a war crime or a 'tragic mistake', there is no room for debate for the people of Gaza. What happened was the latest and perhaps most cruel abomination,” reads a statement from Martin Griffiths, head of UN humanitarian operations.

SEE ALSO: Reuters: Israeli tanks in downtown Rafah

Hamas attacked Tel Aviv, then Israel – RafahAngelika Maj/Fakty o Świecie TVN24 BiS

Israel shelled Rafah hours after Hamas' first rocket attack on Tel Aviv in months. The Israeli army claims it carried out “precise” fire, but Doctors Without Borders denies these claims. They believe the attack on the so-called Rafah safe zone shows Israel's disregard for the lives of Palestinian civilians. Rafah has turned into hell on earth, say humanitarian organizations.

– Palestinians have been told they cannot stay in certain areas of Rafah. But they had the right to be in the place where the shelling took place. Suddenly their tents were bombed. Fire took them. My colleagues working on site told me they heard babies crying but couldn't help them. There was no fire brigade to respond, says James Elder from UNICEF.

Qatar believes that the attack on the Rafah refugee camp could hamper negotiations for the release of hostages and a ceasefire. The Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the shelling carried out by Israel constitutes a serious violation of international law.

Despite appeals from world leaders, Israeli tanks entered the center of Rafah on Tuesday.

Facts about the World TVN24 BiS

Main photo source: Reuters



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article