The Israeli army will release some of the reservists conscripted for the war against Hamas in the coming days, Israeli Defense Forces spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said on Sunday.
Some reservists will return to their families and jobs in the coming week, Hagari announced, quoted by Reuters. He emphasized that the release of reservists would help the economy, and the soldiers themselves would be able to regain strength.
“The fighting will continue next year and we will need them,” an Israeli military spokesman said.
After the attack on Israel Palestinian Hamas and smaller terrorist organizations on October 7, the Israeli Ministry of Defense called up 360,000 reservists. Military service is compulsory for most Israelis: men join the army for 32 months and women for 24 months.
Conflict with Hamas
Israel’s war with the Palestinian Hamas began on October 7, 2023, when terrorists from this organization broke through the border of the Jewish state and murdered about 1,200 people, including children, the elderly and pregnant women. More than 240 people were abducted to the Gaza Strip.
After this attack, the Israeli army launched an operation against Hamas in the Gaza Strip. According to the Hamas-controlled health ministry in the enclave, more than 21,000 Palestinians have been killed since then.
The Israel Defense Forces (Cahal) have so far reported about 120 fallen soldiers.
Main photo source: PAP/EPA/ALAA BADARNEH