4.7 C
London
Monday, March 4, 2024

Italy. Bologna introduces a speed limit of 30 km/h

Must read

- Advertisement -


Bologna introduces a speed limit of 30 km/h in almost the entire metropolis. This is the first large Italian city where such restrictive regulations will come into force. The changes will come into effect on July 1.

On Saturday, the Bologna authorities announced a plan to implement a 30 km/h speed limit. The new regulations are to cover 70 percent of the city’s roads. As explained by the mayor of the capital of Emilia-Romagna, Matteo Lepore, the remaining 30 percent will consist of selected streets, roundabouts and squares, where the speed limit will be 50 km/h.

The new rules will come into force on July 1. However, there will be a transitional period until January 2024, during which drivers exceeding the speed of 30 km/h will not be fined. By the end of September, the city’s Sustainable Mobility Sector is to replace over 500 vertical road signs and adapt about 300 markings visible on the asphalt. During this time, educational courses will also be organized for the inhabitants of Bologna to help them change their current habits.

Bologna authorities on the reasons for limiting the speed to 30 km/h

- Advertisement -

The aim of the restriction is “zero people killed in the streets”, explains Matteo Lepore. According to the mayor of Bologna, similar regulations should be introduced in all Italian cities. Data collected in other towns that have adopted similar restrictions indicate that lowering the speed limit leads to a reduction in the number of accidents and fatalities, and an overall improvement in road safety.

In addition, it contributes to reduction smog and greenhouse gas emissions, smoothes traffic and reduces noise levels, the Bologna Foundation for Urban Innovation (FIU) assesses on its website.

Where the speed limit is 30 km/h

In the past, the authorities of several European metropolises decided to introduce zones with a speed limit of 30 km/h, including BilbaoBrussels, Oslo, Helsinki, Paris, Bordeaux, Grenoble and Lyon.

SEE ALSO: He was driving too fast to avoid a ticket. Now he faces up to 10 years in prison

bolognacitta30.it, fondazioneinnovazioneurbana.it, Rai News, PAP

Main photo source: Shutterstock



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article