Israeli police questioned a suspect on Tuesday in the alleged kidnapping of six-year-old Eitan. The boy is the only survivor of a roller coaster disaster in the Italian Alps. In the accident, he lost his parents and ended up in the care of his aunt living in Italy. All indications are that on Saturday he was abducted by his grandfather and taken from Israel.
Eitan Biran is the only survivor a roller coaster disaster in the Italian Alpswhich happened in May 2021. His parents, younger brother and two great-grandparents were among the 14 victims of the tragic accident. As the media wrote, Eitan survived, because when the car began to fall, his father wrapped his arms around the boy in an embrace. The accident was to cause a failure of the cable-car cable connecting the tourist town of Stresa with the summit of Mottarone.
Custody was granted to the boy’s paternal aunt, Aya Biran-Nirko, who lived in Italy. On Saturday, the six-year-old went missing – he was supposed to be picked up by his maternal grandfather, Shmulik Peleg. The man was supposed to take the child to Israel by private plane.
Kidnapping of Eitan. Israeli police questioned the suspect
Israeli police said on Tuesday that they had received a report of the kidnapping and transporting a minor to Israeli territory. As reported in a statement, a 58-year-old man was questioned in connection with the case. The services did not reveal the suspect’s identity, but according to the Israeli media, Eitan’s grandfather is the interviewed person.
Earlier on Tuesday, the family of an Italian boy filed a petition for the return of Eitan in a family court in Tel Aviv, the Reuters news agency reported. The family’s lawyer, Shmuel Moran, said the court has scheduled a hearing for September 29. A decision on this issue will have to be taken within six weeks, Reuters noted.
The boy’s grandfather was supposed to act “on impulse”
Shmulik Peleg’s lawyers explained that the man was “on impulse” and fear that his maternal relatives had been denied access to the boy. He also argued that the child was not guaranteed adequate medical care in Italy. – We didn’t kidnap Eitan. We brought him home, said the aunt of the six-year-old girl, Gali Peleg from Israel, who applied for the boy’s adoption. The woman claims that the parents of the six-year-old wanted to return to Israel before the catastrophe, and that the child was held hostage in Italy.
Prosecutors in Pavia, Italy, launched an investigation into the kidnapping of the child on Monday and called for the boy to be allowed to return under the Hague Convention. The boy’s paternal aunt, who lives in Italy, says it is “another tragedy for Eitan.” “He thought he was going with his grandfather to buy toys,” Aya Biran-Nirko said. “I’m sure the Israeli authorities will work together to get him back to me,” she added.
Main photo source: Nicola Marfisi / PAP / EPA