An Italian winemaker died while trying to save his colleague who had lost consciousness in a vat of wine, the Italian fire brigade reported. The second man was handed over to medical workers in a serious condition.
The services received a report on Thursday to the Ca’di Rajo vineyard in San Polo di Piave in the commune of Treviso near Venice.
One winemaker died, the other in a serious condition
According to the fire brigade, a forty-year-old man tried to save his friend who, during maintenance work, lost consciousness in a large wine vat from carbon dioxide vapors generated during the fermentation process. The two men were working in a tank that had just been emptied of wine to be bottled. According to the fire department, none of them were wearing breathing apparatus or safety harnesses.
The second man was handed over to rescuers in a serious condition.
“We are overcome with pain. For us, these are two brothers, two sons,” said the owner of the vineyard, Simone Cecchetto, in a statement provided to CNN. She added that her thoughts were with the men’s families. “We pray that the injured young man recovers as soon as possible,” she added. She also described the accident as a “huge tragedy.”
Main photo source: Twitter/@vigilidelfuoco (Italian fire brigade)