Jacek Dubois, vice-chairman of the State Tribunal, was a guest of “One on One”. – The decision to bring someone to the State Tribunal must be a legal decision, not a political one, the lawyer said. He also referred to Donald Tusk’s announcement to bring Adam Glapiński to the tribunal and the NBP spokesman’s accusation that this violates EU treaties. – Politicians have the right to declare their plans, says Dubois. He estimated that the proceedings in this case could take several months. – I would recommend that Mrs. Manowska not be appointed to the adjudicating panel – he said about the chairwoman of the State Tribunal.
Dubois admitted that it was an honor for him to sit on the tribunal. – It is an honor to be elected to a constitutional position. It’s a pride for a lawyer. I hope that this body will start functioning properly, he said.
“The misfortune of the State Tribunal is that it is decided by politicians”
– The misfortune of the State Tribunal is that it is decided by politicians. That is, politicians in the Sejm adopt a resolution to bring someone before the State Tribunal. We cannot start considering any case until the indictment is submitted to the court, said the vice-chairman of the State Tribunal.
– The decision to bring someone before the State Tribunal must be a legal decision, not a political one, says Dubois.
The Vice-President sees opportunities to reduce the importance of the decision of the majority in the Sejm to bring someone before the State Tribunal. – A special prosecutor’s unit may be established to investigate constitutional responsibility. It is also possible to lower the support threshold of MPs from 3/5 to a smaller number of members of the Sejm, he said.
Will Adam Glapiński appear before the State Tribunal?
Marcin Zaborski, who talked to Dubois, recalled one of the hundred specifics of the Civic Coalition. Politicians then announced that he would be brought before the State Tribunal Andrzej DudaMateusz Morawiecki, Marek SuskiAdam Glapiński and Piotr Gliński.
Chairman of PO Donald Tusk handed over by us Tuesdaythat the coalition has a majority that is sufficient to bring Glapiński before the tribunal. – We are analyzing this issue because we want to use this very serious disciplinary tool responsibly – said Tusk.
– Actions against the president of the NBP will violate EU treaties and will also affect the valuation of the currency or stock exchange quotations – said Wojciech Andrusiewicz, spokesman for the NBP. – We must take into account that an attack on the independence of the central bank of any EU member state will result in a decrease in the value of the currency – said Andrusiewicz.
– I think politicians have the right to declare their plans. If a group of MPs wants to submit such a motion, they have the right to talk about it, at least to learn the opinion of their voters. However, it seems to me that such statements should be made with some responsibility. This situation actually undermines our credibility as a state, Dubois commented on this matter.
“We’re talking about the months that the case will last a year.”
The lawyer explained that bringing the president of the NBP before the State Tribunal would not result in him losing this position. – As a responsible politician, he should consider whether he should continue to hold this position or resign for the good of the country. Until the tribunal issues a verdict, he will be able to manage the NBP, because there is a presumption of innocence – he explained.
A TVN24 reporter asked how long the proceedings in the State Tribunal might last. Jacek Dubois admitted that the length of the trial largely depends on the number of witnesses and evidence collected. – In this particular case (Glapiński’s being brought before the tribunal – ed.), I suspect that there would be no fewer than thirty witnesses. I throw the minimum number. Then you would have to allocate about 20-30 session days for such a case, i.e. we are talking about months during which the case will be pending – explained the lawyer.
– If it were necessary to seek an opinion, the preparation of such an opinion would probably take several months – he added.
“I would recommend that Ms. Manowska not be appointed to the adjudicating panel”
A member of the State Tribunal was also asked about the first president of the Supreme Court Małgorzata Manowska, who is also the president of the State Tribunal. Zaborski recalled Dubois’ opinion. The lawyer claimed that Manowska was recommended by the incorrectly appointed National Council of the Judiciary and that her rulings should be repealed.
– It is the duty of every member of the tribunal to strive to ensure that it functions as best as possible. If (Manowska – ed.) ruled, her judgments should be repealed (…). Please remember that Mrs. Manowska has no case before the State Tribunal today. What the government announced is the restoration of proper functioning of the judiciary, i.e. solving the problem of neo-judges and incorrectly selected people, he said.
– I would recommend to all members of the tribunal that Ms. Manowska not be appointed to the adjudicating panel – he added.
Main photo source: TVN24