Jarosław Gowin said in “Kropka nad i” that among PiS voters “there are people who wonder if they have placed their support well”. – If what I say, the testimony of my illness, the testimony of the interview for Arleta Zalewska, our conversation today convinces them to shift their support to a moderate part of the opposition, to the future center-right list (…), then PiS may say goodbye with the prospect of a third term of office – assessed the leader of the Agreement.
Jaroslaw Gowinformer deputy prime minister, leader Agreements, in an interview with TVN’s “Fakt” reporter Arleta Zalewska, the first in several months, he admitted publicly that he was struggling with depression. At the same time, he assured that he had overcome his disease and was ready to return to politics. In the interview, he also talked about the backstage of his departure from the government.
If you are experiencing emotional problems and would like advice or support, here you will find a list of organizations offering professional help. At the number 116 111 a 24/7 helpline for children and young people is available. He also launched a telephone for children and adolescents under the number 800 12 12 12 Ombudsman for Children.
Gowin on the center-right electoral list and the shifting of votes “moderate PiS voters”
On Wednesday, Gowin was a guest of “Kropka nad i” on TVN24, where he would be asked, inter alia, whether PiS should be afraid of his return to politics and knowledge about what happened in the government and what the former deputy prime minister has.
– A politician, especially someone who held government functions, on the one hand has truly unique knowledge, but on the other hand, not only moral or aesthetic reasons, such a Herbertian sense of taste, but also certain formal and legal requirements, make it impossible for me to know to share (…), he replied.
– On the other hand, when it comes to pre-election concerns, it is obvious that if PiS loses two, three percent, or a few percent of today’s, not so high, polls, it will also lose power – he assessed.
The leader of the Covenant said that “there is a group of moderate PiS voters, that is, about a quarter of voters who, for example, watch TVN24 regularly and many of them watch our conversation today”. – These are people who wonder if they have placed their support well. If what I say, the testimony of my illness, the testimony of an interview for Arleta Zalewska, our conversation today will convince them to shift support to a moderate part of the opposition, to the future center-right list – which I am convinced, like Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, that such a list will be created – this is when PiS can say goodbye to the prospect of a third term – he assessed.
Covenant Leader: Jarosław Kaczyński is driven by fear
The guest of “Kropki nad i” also assessed that the question of what the PiS leader is driving Jaroslaw Kaczynski“would require a long and multi-threaded answer.”
– Certainly, Mr. (vice) Prime Minister Kaczyński is a deep patriot. At the same time, he instilled deeply into himself and in his environment the view that the loss of power by PiS and the takeover of power by the opposition will be a misfortune for Poland, said Gowin. In his opinion, “this is why Jarosław Kaczyński and his associates do not hesitate to use such dirty methods that were applied to the people of the Agreement”.
When asked if he thought there was also a concern about what would happen next, Gowin stated that “such a concern exists”. – Undoubtedly, Jarosław Kaczyński is also driven by such a fear that when PiS loses power, many of his people, including Jarosław Kaczyński himself, may stand before the prosecutor’s office, he said.
He also pointed out that “there should be no room for revenge in Polish politics”. – If someone – no matter whether a representative of the government camp or a representative of the opposition – violated the law, he should bear the consequences. But no revenge, he judged. In his opinion, “after the opposition seizes power, one should concentrate on fixing Polish affairs.”
The Morawiecki-Ziobro dispute? Gowin: each of them sees himself as Kaczyński’s successor
Is there a war in the government between the prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki and the Minister of Justice Zbigniew Ziobra? Monika Olejnik, who hosts the program, asked Gowin.
The chairman of the Covenant stated that “it is no secret, every parliamentarian knows it”. – It is obvious that each of these two politicians sees himself as the successor of Jarosław Kaczyński – he said.
– In addition, there is a gap between their views. Mateusz Morawiecki, insofar as he attaches importance to his views at all, has them definitely closer to me, for example, than to Jarosław Kaczyński. Not to mention Zbigniew Ziobro – added Gowin.
The e-mail scandal and the military thread on the streets. Gowin: There was such an initiative. The idea came from the vicinity of Nowogrodzka
Gowin also referred to one of the threads e-mail scandal. It is about the correspondence that appeared on the Internet in June last year, supposed to come from the e-mail box of the head of the chancellery of Prime Minister Michał Dworczyk. “Use of the army in the current situation carries numerous risks of provocation, accusations, huge image losses for the government and the army, and evokes extremely negative associations “- the head of the Chancellery of the Prime Minister was supposed to write in October 2020, when protests against the ruling of the Constitutional Tribunal exacerbating abortion were ongoing.
The guest of “Kropki nad i” said that he “confirms that there was such an initiative”. – I do not know exactly who was its initiator. Somewhere in the vicinity of Nowogrodzka, this idea came to fruition. However, we opposed it very strongly with Prime Minister Morawiecki. Here, an important role was also played by Minister Michał Dworczyk, who is a good expert in defense matters, said Gowin.
The Covenant leader, when asked if it could have been Kaczyński, admitted that “he would have to refer to the rumors here”. – I have not heard such words from Jarosław Kaczyński. However, this idea undoubtedly came from either himself or from the group of his closest associates – he said.
Gowin: the question is whether we are here to be guided by polls or to take care of citizens’ health
The head of the Covenant was also asked why Kaczyński is concerned about MPs skeptical about vaccination against COVID-19. In the first half of January PiS president met with a group of MPs from their club who are against covid verification. After this meeting, he withdrew from the quick introduction of the bill concerning it to the agenda.
As Gowin assessed, “it results from arithmetic in the PiS parliamentary club.” – It also results from some election calculations. There is a group of voters who oscillate between PiS and the Confederation and many of these voters have such an extremely anti-vaccine attitude – he said.
– The question is whether we, politicians, are here to be guided by polls, or whether we are here to care for welfare, health, and in this case, unfortunately, often also for the lives of citizens – he added.
Gowin on depression: I felt I had a duty to talk about it
Jarosław Gowin was also asked if it was difficult to say publicly about the disease.
– And it was difficult, and it wasn’t. It was, because you have to admit your own weakness, you have to give up false pride. But on the other hand, I felt that I had a duty to talk about it so that depression would not be a disease that is something of a taboo – said the leader of the Covenant. – I owe this confession to all those who are sick – he assessed.
“I owe it to my relatives, family and friends who helped me through this difficult period,” he continued. He added that he owed it also to “the wonderful doctors, the medical staff under whose care he was given.”