10.8 C
London
Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Jastrzębie. An 11-year-old and a 13-year-old were poisoned by carbon monoxide in the bathroom of other apartments. They were taken to hospital

Must read

- Advertisement -


The parents found the unconscious 11-year-old in the bathroom. They heard him fall to the floor. It was 9:20 p.m. Firefighters found an increased concentration of carbon monoxide in the apartment. An hour later they were going to a similar event in another block of flats in the same city. A 13-year-old girl lost consciousness. The children were taken to hospital.

On Thursday evening, there were two dangerous events in Jastrzębie-Zdrój related to carbon monoxide. Children in two apartments lost consciousness.

The boy and girl passed out in their bathrooms

The first incident occurred at 9:20 p.m. – An 11-year-old boy fell in the bathroom. Fortunately, the parents heard him fall to the floor and called the services, says Halina Semik, spokeswoman for the police in Jastrzębie Zdrój.

- Advertisement -

At 10.30 p.m., firefighters were on their way to a similar incident at a different address – a 13-year-old girl fainted in the bathroom.

– Even before the firefighters arrived, the children regained consciousness. They were transported to the hospital for observation, the policeman adds.

Increased carbon monoxide, ban on using a gas heater

As Semik says, both apartments are located in different blocks of flats in the city, where gas water heaters are installed in the bathrooms.

– In both cases, firefighters found increased concentrations of carbon monoxide in the air. They banned the use of gas heaters until the inspection – says Semik.

What to do to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

The police appeal to systematically check chimney flues and ventilation grates, check the air draft (you can do it yourself – just place a piece of paper over it, if nothing interferes with the ventilation, the piece of paper should stick to the opening), make sure that there is adequate ventilation in the apartment, especially if there were replace windows, perform technical inspections of heating devices – use the help of professionals when installing them, frequently ventilate rooms equipped with gas heaters, and finally install a carbon monoxide detector.

07/12/2022 | Firefighters are calling for the installation of carbon monoxide detectorsA carbon monoxide detector can save your life. Since the beginning of November, it has worked in two hundred homes and put two hundred families back on their feet. Carbon monoxide kills silently – there is no smell, and the sensor warns loudly.Dariusz Łapiński | Fakty TVN

Main photo source: Shutterstock



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article