The guests of “Coffee on the Bench” on TVN24 discussed the importance of President Joe Biden’s visits to Poland and Ukraine. According to Krzysztof Hetman (Polskie Stronnictwo Ludowe) “this was a signal to Vladimir Putin and Russia that the US is still standing firmly in its position of support and assistance to Ukraine.” According to the head of the President’s Cabinet, Paweł Szrot, the United States “indicated its nodal ally in Europe.” Civic Platform MEP Bartosz Arłukowicz pointed out that the key to the visit “was Biden’s meeting with Zelensky”.
Joe Biden from Monday to Wednesday he visited Poland. During his stay in our country, he gave a speech in Arkady Kubicki and met with the president Andrzej Duda, took part in the summit of the Bucharest Nine. Earlier, he unexpectedly visited the capital Ukraine.
The importance of both visits – in Ukraine and Poland – was discussed by the guests of “Coffee on the Bench”.
Szrot: Biden clearly identified a key ally in Europe
The head of the Cabinet of the President of the Republic of Poland, Paweł Szrot, said that “it is probably clear that the USA, i.e. the leader of NATO and the most powerful country in the world, has clearly and specifically indicated its key ally in Europe.” – This ally is Poland – he stressed.
As he noted, “it’s very good that Joe Biden visited Kiev.” – He showed determination, courage and the will to constantly support the West of Ukraine, fighting for freedom and world values. It is very good that Biden from Kiev immediately came to Warsaw and emphasized the importance of our alliance – said Szrot.
As he added, “certainly in this security crisis, which was caused by Russian aggression against Ukraine, Poland plays a key role.” “And I think President Biden made that very clear,” he concluded.
Hetman: I think we should perhaps take a more cool approach to all this
Krzysztof Hetman, MEP of the Polish People’s Party, pointed out that “you have to ask yourself where President Biden would come at such a moment”. – It is known that Poland was the obvious choice, for obvious reasons. Firstly, because it is most involved in helping Ukraine. Secondly, it is the most important logistics hub through which equipment for Ukraine is transferred – he explained.
According to the politician, Biden’s visit “was a signal for Vladimir Putin and Russia that the US is still standing firmly in its position of support and assistance to Ukraine.
– It is very good that he said it from Warsaw, but in my opinion, both now and before this visit, and before each visit of every US president, we have an unnatural need in Poland to inflate a balloon of exaltation that the US president is coming – Hetman assessed . – Of course, this is the man who heads the only superpower in the world (…), but I think that we should perhaps be more cool about all this – he appealed.
Arłukowicz: Biden didn’t indicate which autocrats he was thinking of, but he made it clear
Civic Platform MEP Bartosz Arłukowicz said that it was “a very important visit, the key to which was the meeting between President Biden and President Zelensky”. “Their meeting together and a walk around Kiev showed Biden’s courage, determination and unity of the West, and – in my opinion – the promise that Ukraine really will not be left alone,” he said.
As he added, “the meeting in Kiev showed that there is no turning back, that the Western world is going in one direction and the enemy is Russia.”
– The meeting in Poland was also full of symbolic moments. When Biden made it very clear: we say no to autocrats, he didn’t say a single word more. He did not indicate which autocrats he was referring to, but he made it clear. These sentences were very important, he pointed out.
Hennig-Kloska: we are the society most involved in helping Ukraine
The head of the Polish 2050 parliamentary group, Paulina Hennig-Kloska, emphasized that, above all, she was very satisfied with the last twelve months. – And I have a request to the Presidential Palace not to try to appropriate what has been achieved this year – she said.
– And what did you do? Firstly, to keep the public mood in Europe behind Ukraine. And here is the huge achievement of our society, which in the first weeks after the outbreak of the war set such an example that you could not turn your back, she assessed.
– Secondly, it is, of course, the resistance of Ukrainian soldiers who have shown for these twelve months that support makes sense. And thirdly, it is extremely important that during this year Ukraine refers to democratic values and adheres to the democratic world. And all this together meant that President Biden was once again in our country, because we are indeed the society most involved in helping Ukraine – she emphasized.
Czarzasty: In this matter, everyone behaves within reason and decency
Deputy Speaker of the Sejm Vladimir Czarzasty (The Left) assessed that in the case of Ukraine “everyone behaves within reason and decency, both the ruling party and the opposition.”
– I think that the entire political class knows what a war means for a neighbor and knows what it means for Poland if that neighbor loses this war. Therefore, I would not look for holes in the whole – he emphasized.
Speaking of Biden’s speech, he noted “a lot of symbolism.” – I will pay attention to the word “freedom”, inflected in all cases. This freedom was publicized in Poland and shown as one of the greatest values, and at the same time Putin was speaking in Russia, who based his entire speech on lies, power, intimidation and a policy of total hypocrisy – he added.
Fogiel: Biden’s visit to Kiev is also a very big political investment
Head of the parliamentary foreign affairs committee Radosław Fogiel (Law and Justice) noted that “first of all, it is crucial that it was the first anniversary of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.” “Ukraine, after a year, not only defends itself, but is able to carry out a counter-offensive and gives very real opportunities to win this war,” he stressed.
According to a former PiS spokesman, Biden’s visit to Kiev was “extremely important”. – Not only from the point of view of moral support, because it is also a very large political investment. You don’t take such a step if you don’t really intend to consistently support a war-torn country, he assessed.
He added that “from the point of view of Poland, Ukraine and our region, this is extremely important, because it means that the US, despite various other interests and threats in the world, does not intend to let go of its security in Europe.”
Main photo source: TVN24