The dismantling of the justice system “will cause us to suffer the consequences after many years” – judged in “One for One” judge of the Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court, Professor Włodzimierz Wróbel. He also referred to the e-mail scandal. The e-mails that are to come from the mailbox of the head of the office of Prime Minister Michał Dworczyk show that both Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and the President of the Constitutional Tribunal Julia Przyłębska could have had a direct impact on the election of the acting president of one of the new chambers of the Supreme Court.
The unrecognized Disciplinary Chamber of the Supreme Court on Thursday allowed Marek Pietruszyński, judge of this court, to be held criminally responsible. The decision is not final.
– We know that these actions of this Chamber cannot and do not cause legal effects, judge Wróbel judged “One in one” on Friday. He added that he already reads it in political terms. – These are some provocations, these are some strange tectonic movements, I think in the power camp – he said.
– This is a scandal, what happened yesterday and a complete lack of responsibility also on the part of people who decide to take such actions – judged judge Wróbel. He reminded that the possibility of imposing penalties for Poland is still hanging over us.
– What is the purpose of this activity? Privately, I describe it as some form of provocation, an action aimed at exacerbating the conflict, causing an even stronger reaction from the European Union. I do not understand the intentions of these people – said the judge of the Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court.
Judge Wróbel: it’s hard to read what motives underlie the actions of the people who took over the administration of the Supreme Court
He was asked if Małgorzata Manowska, the first president of the Supreme Court, was sufficiently aware of his responsibility.
– When I read an interview with professor Manowska, in which she directly and so clearly threatened the judges of the Criminal Chamber that they would do what they could to preserve the process of destruction of this system and threatened to suspend them, or to instigate disciplines for them, it is hard to read what motives are at the root of the various types of actions taken by people who have taken over the administration of the Supreme Court at the moment, he said.
Judge of the Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court: the law is a bit like air
Judge Wróbel said that “the law is a bit like the air in which we function”. – You cannot see him, but without him our joint functioning would be impossible – he added. He emphasized that “if you remove the fuse, which is a properly filled court in this entire system, then we will suffer the consequences for years”.
He said that “we have a collapse in the length of hearing cases in the judiciary after all these reforms and wars with the courts.”
– On reforms of such a complicated system as the justice system, apart from the goodwill of the minister [Zbigniewa Ziobry – przyp. red.] I do not fully notice (…) then everyone still needs to know about it. This is a very complicated matter – he emphasized.
Noting that after the ruling of the Court of Justice of the European Union in mid-July concerning the unrecognized Disciplinary Chamber, there has been an avalanche and each day actually brings information about subsequent judges who refuse to adjudicate, he said that “this is not a surprise”. He added that the lawyers had been talking about it for a long time.
– We are in a moment much more dangerous than it was just a few months ago. Resolution of 2020 of the combined composition of the three chambers [Sądu Najwyższego – przyp. red.] to some sort of lifebuoy, in fact thrown to power. There was a mechanism shown how to calm it all down. Today it is much more radical, because it is no longer the resolution that shows how this court should function, but the decisions of international bodies. I will suspect more and more of these judgments – he said.
He judged that “there is still time to stop it all.”
Judge Wróbel: If it were a normally functioning state, such e-mails would lead to political resignations
Judge Wróbel also referred to the case of disclosed e-mails, which are to come from the mailbox of the head of the chancellery of Prime Minister Michał Dworczyk. One of the correspondence shows that both Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and the President of the Constitutional Tribunal, Julia Przyłębska, could have had a direct impact on the election of the acting president of one of the new chambers of the Supreme Court.
– If it were a normally functioning state, such e-mails would lead to various political resignations, and the person to whom these e-mails concern, actually two people, because there is a judge and Mrs. Przyłębska, would be removed from adjudicating, because this is the basis for exclusion – he commented . – It seems to me that today, it will probably happen in a moment, these e-mails will be trialally assessed in some proceedings for excluding one of them from adjudication and we will find out whether these e-mails are true or not – said a judge of the Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court.
– In the normal procedure, there will be a request for exclusion for this reason, what is the content of these e-mails and in this procedure it will be assessed whether these e-mails are genuine – he added.
Main photo source: TVN24